Help a chick has a hurt leg!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SuburbSpurs, Aug 31, 2013.

1. SuburbSpurs

SuburbSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Feel it and see if there is a break somewhere, also look at the bottom of the foot for any injury. If there is a break you can always splint it for healing. Also, separate it from the other birds to prevent pecking. Some do it right away whereas some wait until there is a problem before they separate.

3. SuburbSpurs

How would I tell if there was a break?

4. daisychicken

daisychicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Florida
    This might have developed when the chick was growing in the egg. If there is a break it is sometimes deformed so I there is a vet that you can take it, or if you can't try going tractor supplies some kind of feed store that would know, ask them they be able to help.

5. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    Feel the good leg, then feel the bad. Look for any movement that the good leg doesn't have. Note the differences between the two. How high is the roost? They can sprain or even break legs from jumping off of any roost over 3' as well as not having soft bedding under it. Did you check the bottom of the foot?

6. SuburbSpurs

He wasn't like this until yesterday, they think he fell down a hill that their chicken house is on top of. I will ask my boyfriend if I can take him to the vet, he might not let me though, his dad is kind of protective.

I can't he is at my friends house, when I can I will try.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  7. SuburbSpurs

Okay it is the upper thigh-Hock area and we are pretty sure its broken. There is no roost but is there a way we can splint or cast it?

8. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    A basic splint will work. make sure it is straight and something like popcicle sticks and tape will do fine.

9. SuburbSpurs

Next time i visit I will bring medical tape and popsicle sticks.... but should I splint straight down from the hock?

10. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    I would. The more you immobilize it the better chance for a proper heal. Think about when people bust their knee or femur, they immobilize the whole leg to prevent the bone from moving in the healing process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by