Turkey Girl

Songster
Feb 18, 2019
So, we have a coop full of Ayam Cemani chicks. One of our older Ayam Cemani hens got into the coop and ripped he skin off of one of the chick's head. Now the poor baby's skull is exposed! It is standing up and acting like all the others and doesn't appear to be in pain. I didn't bandage it for fear that it might get stuck to its skull. There is no blood.

Thanks,
Turkey Girl

I have had this happen before. Flush the wound if necessary with sterile saline or veterycin spray. Apply plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment to cover the wound and keep it moist. Reapply as necessary until it's well scabbed over. If necessary you may have to separate the chick to keep the wound from being pecked until it's healed up. As long as it's kept clean it should heal up fine. My chick recovered fine, and I had it happen to an adult hen, she also recovered fine.

I have had this happen before. Flush the wound if necessary with sterile saline or veterycin spray. Apply plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment to cover the wound and keep it moist. Reapply as necessary until it's well scabbed over. If necessary you may have to separate the chick to keep the wound from being pecked until it's healed up. As long as it's kept clean it should heal up fine. My chick recovered fine, and I had it happen to an adult hen, she also recovered fine.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom