Help...Aggressive chickens!

chickensrus2

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2015
One of my chickens is blind in one eye and stands out. The rooster and his posse attack her whenever she goes near them or outside. The other chickens usually ignore her or when she is eating and they want her spot, they peck and chase her away. She doesn't have bugs so they aren't pecking the bugs off and she has never been visibly hurt before but I'm not waiting until she gets hurt to do something. What should I do?
Any advice?

Last edited:
Since she will need extra care due to her partial blindness - making her a sitting down for flock attacks and also predators. You might consider making her a house chicken. There is a thread called "people with house chickens." The movement is growing many because of so many restrictions on owning chickens. The banty breeds are not much different than having a parrot etc. However they don't make as much noise, and generally don't bite.

Chickens can be ruthless and even resort to cannibalism. Or maybe you can set up shelter and a small covered run for her. If you have a gentle hen that doesn't harm her maybe they can become the best of friends.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Good luck taking care of your special girl.

welcome-byc.gif

I have a RIR that stands out from the flock too...she is lame in one leg. Chickens don't like birds that are "different" and will severely injure or kill them if they are given the opportunity. Our lame girl has her own little run that shares a common wall with the big run so she isn't lonely and she has her own small coop for sleeping (it's inside with the coop but sectioned off and has a separate pop door to her run).

If you aren't prepared for a house chicken, some similar set up may work for your blind girl.

Back
Top Bottom