HELP! An animal attacked my hen! WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURES

any updates on how she's doing and acting, it's always scary but remaining calm they can over come a lot if your willing to take care of her, I nursed a young cockerel that had almost had his head taken off took almost a month of isolation while he healed as bad as it was but he's a happy well adjusted 5 year old rooster with his 20 hens where he went to live, it just does take commitment to do it and don't be afraid to ask questions

we cant save them all but where he had hard road to recover and luckily no nerve issues it was worth it. warning he sure wanted to be a cuddle bug

Last edited:
I've treated worse at home, and the bird did end up surviving. I agree that the wound should be flushed quite well. If there's any feathers or other debris inside, pull it out. Clip or pluck any feathers in the immediate area of the wound so they don't brush inside and contaminate it. Wounds must be warm, clean, and have blood flow to heal. I'm not entirely sure what angle the photos show, but from what I can see I think stitches or wrapping would be a bad idea due to the bacteria that would be left in the cavity with ideal conditions for multiplying.

Disclaimer—I am not a vet.
nope just a eggspert lol

any updates on how she's doing and acting, it's always scary but remaining calm they can over come a lot if your willing to take care of her, I nursed a young cockerel that had almost had his head taken off took almost a month of isolation while he healed as bad as it was but he's a happy well adjusted 5 year old rooster with his 20 hens where he went to live, it just does take commitment to do it and don't be afraid to ask questions

we cant save them all but where he had hard road to recover and luckily no nerve issues it was worth it. warning he sure wanted to be a cuddle bug
She still has an appetite and occasionally walks around or sits down for a period of time but it’s hard to say if she’s getting better or worse. I’m trying to stay calm as best as I can but I’m also constantly worried because her wound looks so bad. I know she must be in pain but I really want to help her pull through this :(

Poor girl. If she were mine, I’d give her a chance if it did not appear there were torn organs. Hard to tell in the photo. Has she pooped yet? Is this a laying hen?
I don’t think her organs are torn and yes she did poop! Do you mind me asking what does laying hen mean? Regularly harvesting eggs??
Forgot to also say, this predator will be back. I don’t think it was a cat. If it were, I think it would be at least bobcat sized and there would be puncture wounds. I could be wrong.

Does your mom seriously think a mouse did that? I seriously doubt that. Not possible in my opinion. Would guess dog or hawk.

Can you keep your flock in a covered run for awhile instead of free ranging?
My neighbors have stray cats staying in their yard and I’ve seen them kill birds but it looks like the only decapitate the heads. Which is why I don’t think it’s a cat.

We’ve seen a rat around the coop a few times but I honestly don’t think it could have done this. I would have quickly found her and if not, my rooster would have. He did pretty well protecting our flock when a dog got into our yard last time so I’m sure he would have done the same if something happened in our yard again.

Also all the feathers she lost aren’t in our backyard. Which makes me believe that the attack happened in a neighbor’s yard who has a dog.

Oh that’s really interesting! I had no idea. I guess a cat may be a possibility after all. And we’re working on getting rid of the rat. I think it’s just a matter of waiting for it to eat the poison.

Ohh thank you. Yes, she lays eggs. The time I last saw her to the time I realized that she was missing was less than 30 minutes. About an hour after I found out she was missing is when my mom found her.
be very careful using poison that your chickens can't get into it

Back
Top Bottom