Help!! Another hen just died!!

vigario

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
About a week or two ago I had a hen have some sort of seizure and die right in front of me. Today, I went to gather eggs and there was a hen dead in a nesting box. No marks on it. This morning she was fine. I threw some greens and some ears of corn on the compost pile and she went at it.

It has been hot here (Sacramento, CA - High 90's to Low 100's) for a few days. They are all open beaked with wings away from sides. They have shade and fresh water (I fill a five gallon bucket each morning). I also let the hose run to give them some wet dirt to lay on.

Am I missing something? Are there table scraps that I am throwing on the compost pile that will kill a chicken? Do they get heat stroke?

I thought chickens were fairly hardy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

actually they die quite easily, I'm afraid!
sad.png
Nothing you have fed them should cause them to just suddenly die. We had one die from getting scared by the lawnmower! It's hard to say what it could have been there are so many diseases and sicknesses they can get also.

I'm not really sure what the cause could be, sounds like you are taking precautions to keep them cool. Maybe some frozen treats or bottles of water frozen to lay by and keep cool could help too. Hope it ends w/ that one! So sorry!

This is bizarre....I live in Paso Robles, Ca...and we have had 100 degree weather for the past 4 days. My chickens seem to be fairing well (in full shade, two waterers, sand floor). I heard humidity can kill them. I was told not to water down their coop in hot weather....maybe it's too humid. They also say if they are stressed when it is hot can kill them too. I am sorry this happened. I can't wait for this hot weather to dissipate!
sad.png

Thanks for all of your heartfelt thoughts. This one was a Leghorn. The first one was a RIR.

I will try some frozen bottles and stop watering down the run. I don't water the coop.

As for ventilation, there is a six inch gap from the top of the sides to the roof. Should I cut some windows?

Back
Top Bottom