HELP ASAP baby duck arching backwards and falling over

ChickenTiff

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Texas
My baby duck is less than a week old and was FINE yesterday. Following me around all the time and snuggling with me. Now he has not made a single peep and is not moving much occationally arching backwards and falling over...HELP PLEASE I DONT WANT HIM TO DIE!!
Tiffany

I don't know - hope more experienced people can help. But I'll try.
Ducklings often need extra niacin for their neurological system. Get a bottle of niacin tablets, (often found at grocery stores) crush a tablet an put it in the drinking water. Also there is a type of vitamins for birds called Polyvisol you can find at Walmart in their pet department. Put a couple of drops in the side of it's bill.

Quote:
I concur.

My Cayuga duckling had wry neck and after coddling it with poly-vi-sol, brewer's yeast and vit E he's fine. As an added benefit, he's the friendliest after all the extra handling. He never fell over but he moved funny until it resolved.

Good luck!

If you can't find the poly-vi-sol in the pet section, it's also sold in the pharmacy for babies (human type). Just make SURE that it is the kind WITHOUT IRON! You can put a couple drops in the water for your duckies if you like.

He didnt make it I cried. I loved that duck. He really was awesome. He would ride around in my pocket and just jabber away at me. He was a black bellied whistler. I wanna cry again....im heart broken.
Tiff

hugs.gif

I'm so sorry, sounds like you were really bonded.

I'm not trying to put salt on your wounds,but look this up: Duck Virus hepatitis. That sounds like what happened with your little one. Perhaps this can help in the future?

Sorry about your baby.

Back
Top Bottom