HELP ASAP baby duck arching backwards and falling over

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenTiff, Jul 21, 2009.

1. ChickenTiff

ChickenTiff In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas
    My baby duck is less than a week old and was FINE yesterday. Following me around all the time and snuggling with me. Now he has not made a single peep and is not moving much occationally arching backwards and falling over...HELP PLEASE I DONT WANT HIM TO DIE!!
    Tiffany

2. I don't know - hope more experienced people can help. But I'll try.
    Ducklings often need extra niacin for their neurological system. Get a bottle of niacin tablets, (often found at grocery stores) crush a tablet an put it in the drinking water. Also there is a type of vitamins for birds called Polyvisol you can find at Walmart in their pet department. Put a couple of drops in the side of it's bill.

3. kwack

kwack In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    Quote:I concur.

My Cayuga duckling had wry neck and after coddling it with poly-vi-sol, brewer's yeast and vit E he's fine. As an added benefit, he's the friendliest after all the extra handling. He never fell over but he moved funny until it resolved.

Good luck!

4. Yes - brewers yeast is a good way to get the niacin and other B vitamins. I get it bulk in powder form at the health food store, or a lot of stores sell it in tablet form too.

5. Crickett

Crickett Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    If you can't find the poly-vi-sol in the pet section, it's also sold in the pharmacy for babies (human type). Just make SURE that it is the kind WITHOUT IRON! You can put a couple drops in the water for your duckies if you like.

6. ChickenTiff

ChickenTiff In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas
    He didnt make it I cried. I loved that duck. He really was awesome. He would ride around in my pocket and just jabber away at me. He was a black bellied whistler. I wanna cry again....im heart broken.
    Tiff

7. [​IMG]
    I'm so sorry, sounds like you were really bonded.

8. DuckHoney

DuckHoney In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2009
    I'm so sorry. I hope this never happens to you again. [​IMG]

9. Muscovy Man

Muscovy Man In the Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Paonia, CO
    I am so sorry about your loss [​IMG]. I had the same thing happen to some of my ducklings.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  10. duckboatprincess

duckboatprincess Songster

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I'm not trying to put salt on your wounds,but look this up: Duck Virus hepatitis. That sounds like what happened with your little one. Perhaps this can help in the future?

Sorry about your baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: