Help! Babies dying everyday & not sure why

Egg-O-Matic

In the Brooder
May 23, 2017
I purchased 29 chicks from Murray McMurray hatchery. 15 silver dorkings, and 14 other breeds. I picked them up the moment they arrived at the post office and 4 dorkings were dead upon arrival. I've had them in a large jacuzzi tub in the bathroom- heat, food (with some chick grit), & water. Everyone has been fine for a week. Until 3 days ago when I found a dorking dead. Then another one a day later and today is the 3rd day in a row that I have a dead chick- this time a dark cornish. Anything I should look for? I've been watching these guys intensely and they all seem fine- running around, spread out evenly under the heat lamp. I did notice the ones that had died had an enlarged area below their throat- croup maybe? I tried to take a pic of it below:

I'm thinking my next step should be to move them an enclosed room in the barn for some different air? I appreciate any input!

Attachments

• IMG_7425.JPG
    IMG_7425.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 41
Are you heating only one side of the "brooder"?
Grit is only needed if they are eating other things beside chick feed.

How is their poop?

Yes, only heating one side of the brooder. I had planned on putting some sod in there for them, but held off due to them dying. I didn't want to add any more variables.

I see you have already been researching cocci.
Just because your chicks got the "shot" and some eat the medicated feed doesn't mean they can't or won't get it.
I would bet money you are dealing with Cocci.
Get some Corid asap.

Thank you!!! I have Corid, I will add it to the water right away. What dosage for week old chicks?

I hear that if you feed vaccinated chicks kedicated feed they don't do too well with that. I have mever tested, but it might be possible.

I purchased 29 chicks from Murray McMurray hatchery. 15 silver dorkings, and 14 other breeds. I picked them up the moment they arrived at the post office and 4 dorkings were dead upon arrival. I've had them in a large jacuzzi tub in the bathroom- heat, food (with some chick grit), & water. Everyone has been fine for a week. Until 3 days ago when I found a dorking dead. Then another one a day later and today is the 3rd day in a row that I have a dead chick- this time a dark cornish. Anything I should look for? I've been watching these guys intensely and they all seem fine- running around, spread out evenly under the heat lamp. I did notice the ones that had died had an enlarged area below their throat- croup maybe? I tried to take a pic of it below:

I'm thinking my next step should be to move them an enclosed room in the barn for some different air? I appreciate any input!
Dip beak in water, and feed game starter mash or crumble. Hope you have marbles for water. and do not over heat. Star

Do you have the powder Corid or the liquid.
what percentage too?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom