HELP!! Baby Chick: Impacted Crop

-Flash-

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
Try giving it a little warm sugar water.
Would Spark do? Mum was a vet so she knows what to do in most cases, but she has not clue what to do for this chick. (S)He normally has Spark in her water because she was weak. (From being undernourished)

Attachments

• WIN_20211117_11_30_21_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20211117_11_30_21_Pro.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
No. The sweetener in Spark is fake sugar. You need real sugar that will raise the chick's glucose level. Do this in addition to the Spark in its water. Give it a little warm sugar water every half hour until it recovers its normal energy. You'll be able to tell. Use a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of warm water.

-Flash-

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
No. The sweetener in Spark is fake sugar. You need real sugar that will raise the chick's glucose level. Do this in addition to the Spark in its water. Give it a little warm sugar water every half hour until it recovers its normal energy. You'll be able to tell. Use a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of warm water.
Okay. Sadly I have never seen Cinnamon (The chick) have energy... She was undernourished when we got her. (Sorry I keep saying that.)

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Once the chick starts to show some energy, give her some finely minced egg yolk to pick at. If this doesn't light a fire in her, then you're right, this chick is likely dying.

-Flash-

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
Once the chick starts to show some energy, give her some finely minced egg yolk to pick at. If this doesn't light a fire in her, then you're right, this chick is likely dying.
She is quite happy to eat, just her crop isn't emptying. But the sugar water worked wonders! She started to peep again! She is still slightly off, but improving! :fl I hope.

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
She likely dehydrated. Continue the sugar water as often as you can. The higher her glucose, the more it will trigger her to wish to eat and drink. At this point, think of her as a stalled engine on a car. You need to push it, get momentum, then the engine will turn over and catch. Then you're on a roll!

-Flash-

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
She likely dehydrated. Continue the sugar water as often as you can. The higher her glucose, the more it will trigger her to wish to eat and drink. At this point, think of her as a stalled engine on a car. You need to push it, get momentum, then the engine will turn over and catch. Then you're on a roll!
I read somewhere that giving the chick a warm bath can help the impacted crop, is this true?

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
No. It is not true. Do not dunk the chick.

The chick's crop seems impacted because it's not been drinking. The crop will empty once it gets hydrated and the digestive tract contents start to move as they should.

Keep putting sugar water into the chick. Dip its beak in the sugar water after you do that, encouraging it to drink on its own. It will most likely latch onto the program by this time tomorrow. Hang in there. Keep up the good work. It's going to pay off.

-Flash-

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
No. It is not true. Do not dunk the chick.

The chick's crop seems impacted because it's not been drinking. The crop will empty once it gets hydrated and the digestive tract contents start to move as they should.

Keep putting sugar water into the chick. Dip its beak in the sugar water after you do that, encouraging it to drink on its own. It will most likely latch onto the program by this time tomorrow. Hang in there. Keep up the good work. It's going to pay off.
😬 The chick is getting weaker. I don't know if it'll survive that long. 😬

I'm shoving the water down its throat with a syringe. Is it better to keep it warm? It's in an incubator so I can adjust the temperature.

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Absolutely, keep it warm. Let it rest for a while.

If this chick doesn't make it, it won't be for your lack of trying to save it. Sometimes chicks hatch with incomplete inner equipment so they aren't able to process nutrients and calories. It's like that engine analogy. If the fuel line is not connected and there are pieces missing, the car is destined to never go anywhere.

Top Bottom