HELP!! Baby Chick: Impacted Crop

-Flash-

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
Absolutely, keep it warm. Let it rest for a while.

If this chick doesn't make it, it won't be for your lack of trying to save it. Sometimes chicks hatch with incomplete inner equipment so they aren't able to process nutrients and calories. It's like that engine analogy. If the fuel line is not connected and there are pieces missing, the car is destined to never go anywhere.
Your explanations are great! 🤣

Last edited:

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
No.

This chick is probably exhausted. Let it catch up on sleep. Then resume the sugar water, but stretch it out to once an hour and leave the sugar water where it can drink on its own if it wishes. Be sure it can't fall in and drown. Place marbles ot small stones in the water if it's a shallow dish.

-Flash-

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
No.

This chick is probably exhausted. Let it catch up on sleep. Then resume the sugar water, but stretch it out to once an hour and leave the sugar water where it can drink on its own if it wishes. Be sure it can't fall in and drown. Place marbles or small stones in the water if it's a shallow dish.
Okay, I'll try to retrain myself.

-Flash-

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia

Attachments

• IMG_7276.JPG
    IMG_7276.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 1

-Flash-

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
NSW, Australia
She died. As expected. But, we cut open her crop and pulled out all the stuff in there. (This is after she is dead.)
It stunk. She must have developed Sour Crop. Anyway, we found scrambled eggs and little black balls. I think they could be mulberry. (She had eaten some of them before.)
I looked at it under the microscope but I could really see what it was. I'm going to take them (Black balls) to a retired science teacher to see what he thinks. It is all very strange.

The chick was one of 6. All were undernourished, all died. 5 died the same way, fine, then upside down on backs, gasping for air. They all died. We thought it was the cold that killed them (It was FREEZING. We even lit a fire! Like, who does that in November?!) they were in a brooder, temp in there was about 32 -33, and 3 died. But the next 2 were in an incubator when they died. We now know that it probably wasn't the cold, maybe for the first lot, who knows for the second.

Anyway:
"Our Dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them." - George Eliot

Top Bottom