Help! Baby chick Respiratory Illness or Neurological? Video

Jun 8, 2020
When I brought my chicks home from the feed store, one of them was open beak breathing, very lethargic, and sneezing. I thought we were going to lose her but now she is almost 14 weeks and one of my biggest hens! The rest of the chicks all were sneezing too after awhile. I changed the bedding almost daily. I think it was just because of dust too (the brooder was in the garage). They all ended up fine though :)

Rnkjones

Hatching
Oct 22, 2020
North Texas
@Isaac 0 @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Update on Miss Millie:

Symptoms are still the same (quick breathing w/ closed mouth, a few consecutive head sneezes/twitches every 20 seconds.) She hasn't gotten worse and none of the other chicks are showing any symptoms.

I put them all on towels for 48 hours then moved them to a bigger pen (see pics). I've been filtering the dust from their feed as well.

I have noticed that when she's laying down and extends her neck she doesn't sneeze. I've held her like that for awhile and she won't sneeze again until she moves her head back.

Again you all are awesome for taking the time to post to these threads and help us newbies.

Attachments

Rnkjones

Hatching
Oct 22, 2020
North Texas
Hey everyone,

It's been awhile but I wanted to update you all since you took the time to respond before.

Millie has recovered and is doing wonderful. About a week or so after my last post she stopped all symptoms. No more head shaking, no more breathing hard. None of the other chicks got sick and she never got any worse, so I'm thinking she had something stuck that eventually worked it's way out as she grew.

Her and her sisters moved out into their coop/run today and they love it.

I want to thank you all again for helping me diagnose her and all the advice you gave!!
75A4A946-57B4-4D12-A8F5-79455D1BEBC8.jpeg
1185F391-F871-4F5F-BA86-16C283D45FA9.jpeg

Top Bottom