HELP! Baby chick scalped *graphic*...update: she didn't make it :(

Gosh I hope it makes it. Yep, you got good advice here on the neosporin stuff, keeping its beak dipped in water and holding it as much as you can. give the little guy a chance! Hope it's eyes are only swollen shut and not gone. Maybe soften some crumbles and try to get a piece at a time in it's beak, if it is not too much of a struggle for the chick?

Thanks everyone...I put some sugar water on my finger and she drank a few sips of it. She's actually acting quite lively right now, surprisingly! She still can't see anything but she responds to me if I make peeping noises and talk to her, which means she can still hear perfectly fine, and she can walk and snuggle up to my hand...if I put my hand next to her and talk to her she seems more lively and, if it weren't for her head, normal. It probably sounds like a dumb idea but I'm going to put some music on in the room for her...it seems to calm her down and comfort her.

I had a chicken scalped just like this- she had not meat, skin, or feathers left- just her skull showing! She was much older than your chick though - but it was very traumatic. I separated her, cleaned the wound with saline wash, and put neosporin on it daily. I fed her lots of extra protein- scrambled eggs, and yogurt- and in two months she had grown back her muscle, skin, and feathers. Your chick will pull through! You are doing a good job!

OMG poor baby! (
sickbyc.gif
) i hope she will be ok.
hit.gif
May already killed one baby chick, not another. Seperate her ASAP. Good luck little chicky!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Oh my goodness!!! I'm so sorry you and your chick are going through this.
sad.png
You mentioned she likes to snuggle with your hand. Can you give her a small stuffed animal to sleep next to for comfort?

Quote:
yeah she has a small stuffed teddy bear in there with her...and she's snuggling with my hand.

also, her right eye is barely open now...still swollen, but she can definitely see out of it. not sure yet about the left eye.

Back
Top Bottom