Help! Baby duck with eye problems...

I've heard back from the Waterfowl Sanctuary - they are concerned that the duck may have Avian TB, so they can't take him as it is contagious to other birds.(?) I have to do some research on this to see what's what. He is still eating, drinking and getting along okay. I have continued some warm compresses, and let him puddle around in some warm water twice a day (as per suggestions here.) I am also giving him some azelastine hydrochloride ophthalmic drops, because that is all I have (they are supposed to work against allergic reactions/inflammation.) I am hoping to get a bit of a consultation on him tomorrow, so we'll see.

I've heard back from the Waterfowl Sanctuary - they are concerned that the duck may have Avian TB, so they can't take him as it is contagious to other birds.(?) I have to do some research on this to see what's what. He is still eating, drinking and getting along okay. I have continued some warm compresses, and let him puddle around in some warm water twice a day (as per suggestions here.) I am also giving him some azelastine hydrochloride ophthalmic drops, because that is all I have (they are supposed to work against allergic reactions/inflammation.) I am hoping to get a bit of a consultation on him tomorrow, so we'll see.
Thats too bad they weren't able to help. the fact he seems fine other than his eyes makes me think he has a fighting chance. How does his eyes look tonight any change. How could a tiny newly hatched duckling have Avain TB? I think I'll look that up too. Keep up the TLC.

Any news on your duckling?

after looking up Avain TB I don't think your duckling has it. there is another product called Veterycin that can be used in the eyes it come is a spray and you can get it at TSC an other feed stores. I hope you are seeing improvement.

Last edited:
Any news on your duckling?

after looking up Avain TB I don't think your duckling has it. there is another product called Veterycin that can be used in the eyes it come is a spray and you can get it at TSC an other feed stores. I hope you are seeing improvement.
I just wanted to chime in here. I had a duckling hatch with clogged tear duct. After treatment with saline solution and vetericyn for two weeks, ducky opened his eye and he was blind. He's doing just fine with his one good eye. I check him every few days to make sure he's keeping the blind side clean, but otherwise, he's a perfectly happy boy.

I just wanted to chime in here. I had a duckling hatch with clogged tear duct. After treatment with saline solution and vetericyn for two weeks, ducky opened his eye and he was blind. He's doing just fine with his one good eye. I check him every few days to make sure he's keeping the blind side clean, but otherwise, he's a perfectly happy boy.

Thank you GQ hopefully the OP will see your post and be encouraged.

Okay, so I spoke with a vet yesterday. She is not really up on birds, but she told me it would probably be safe to go ahead and poke through the skin to drain the fluid, which I did. She is sending the pics I gave her along to another vet that deals with birds, so maybe I'll hear back on this today.

I looked up Avian TB, and also did not think that is was likely, as it takes weeks to months to incubate, so unless the duckling was incubating the disease in the shell, he's way to young to have this problem.

The good news is that the duckling is still eating and drinking, and since his "surgery" yesterday, the fluid is essentially gone. His eyes are still covered with some kind of tissue, either conjunctiva or inner eyelid(? I think ducks have these, don't they?).

I am also noticing that he seems to be "wheezing," or more appropriately, bubbling through his nostrils. When he sticks his face under water, he blows air. I've never seen this with other ducks (but again I don't have that much experience). I am thinking now that it may be a sinus issue/tear duct thing.

I guess I will have to scrape up some money and get the vetericyn, because it looks like the best thing to clear things up.

Here are some "post-op" photos:

Okay, so I spoke with a vet yesterday. She is not really up on birds, but she told me it would probably be safe to go ahead and poke through the skin to drain the fluid, which I did. She is sending the pics I gave her along to another vet that deals with birds, so maybe I'll hear back on this today.

I looked up Avian TB, and also did not think that is was likely, as it takes weeks to months to incubate, so unless the duckling was incubating the disease in the shell, he's way to young to have this problem.

The good news is that the duckling is still eating and drinking, and since his "surgery" yesterday, the fluid is essentially gone. His eyes are still covered with some kind of tissue, either conjunctiva or inner eyelid(? I think ducks have these, don't they?).

I am also noticing that he seems to be "wheezing," or more appropriately, bubbling through his nostrils. When he sticks his face under water, he blows air. I've never seen this with other ducks (but again I don't have that much experience). I am thinking now that it may be a sinus issue/tear duct thing.

I guess I will have to scrape up some money and get the vetericyn, because it looks like the best thing to clear things up.

It looks so much better, good for you to keep at it. I hope you can get the Veterycin because it is just so good for things like this.

Duckie looks so much better! Are you giving antibiotics? Now if duckie starts to open his/her eyes and it looks like the third eyelid is stuck, just leave it be and give some saline solution eyedrops.

My little guy tried for a week to open his third eyelid, only to find no eyeball behind it. That doesn't ensure your duckie will be the same way, but that was my experience. He keeps it clean and he's otherwise healthy.

The bubbling through the water is duckie clearing his nostrils. Nothing to be alarmed about unless he has obvious discharge coming from his nostrils when he hasn't just been drinking.

I hope the vet gets back to you with better advice. It's hard to know what to do when there aren't nearly enough avian vets out there.

Duckie looks so much better! Are you giving antibiotics? Now if duckie starts to open his/her eyes and it looks like the third eyelid is stuck, just leave it be and give some saline solution eyedrops.

My little guy tried for a week to open his third eyelid, only to find no eyeball behind it. That doesn't ensure your duckie will be the same way, but that was my experience. He keeps it clean and he's otherwise healthy.

The bubbling through the water is duckie clearing his nostrils. Nothing to be alarmed about unless he has obvious discharge coming from his nostrils when he hasn't just been drinking.

I hope the vet gets back to you with better advice. It's hard to know what to do when there aren't nearly enough avian vets out there.

But having someone who has experienced this GQ really helps. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom