HELP!!! Baby Pigeon won’t Poop.

Worthlyfarm

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
Hi, I recently hatched a pigeon and I’m very new at the pigon stuff. The pigeon is eating and is kept at 89°F. I feed it the exact parrot mix, for baby birds. My dilemma is that the pigeon hasent pooped in a whole day. It only pooped once and that was a few hrs after hatching. I’m trying my best and if someone could help that would be perfect.. thanks!!

Hi, I recently hatched a pigeon and I’m very new at the pigon stuff. The pigeon is eating and is kept at 89°F. I feed it the exact parrot mix, for baby birds. My dilemma is that the pigeon hasent pooped in a whole day. It only pooped once and that was a few hrs after hatching. I’m trying my best and if someone could help that would be perfect.. thanks!!

@biophiliac or @Pyxis can either of you offer advice on baby pigeons?

@biophiliac or @Pyxis can either of you offer advice on baby pigeons?
Hello @Worthlyfarm. So sorry you did not receive an answer sooner. Is the little pigeon still alive? I have never raised one from hatch so I will defer to @Pyxis to give you advice. You probably know that pigeons produce crop milk for their babies during the first week or so . . .

I would say the the temperature of the food is extremely important and also that the chick is warm and hydrated before feeding.

You seem to be on the right track with the Kaytee and keeping him warm. Best of luck!

Hello @Worthlyfarm. So sorry you did not receive an answer sooner. Is the little pigeon still alive? I have never raised one from hatch so I will defer to @Pyxis to give you advice. You probably know that pigeons produce crop milk for their babies during the first week or so . . .

I would say the the temperature of the food is extremely important and also that the chick is warm and hydrated before feeding.

You seem to be on the right track with the Kaytee and keeping him warm. Best of luck!
Ye
How's the baby doing now?
The pigeon is doing fine I think. It’s pooped and it eats. I just wasent sure what I was doing. Thanks for all your help.

Excellent news! You must be doing a bunch of things right. One member started a thread and succeeded in hand raising the baby from egg.
It would interest me to learn how you came to be hatching a pigeon egg? It would also be great if you could possibly post frequent updates and even photos so others could learn from your experience.

Here is a link to Laura's thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-help-with-malpositioned-pigeon-chick.1265397/
Oh - I definitely recommend you use a kitchen type scale and weigh him daily in grams. Also be sure his crop is emptying well between feedings. Anyway congrats on your success so far!

Excellent news! You must be doing a bunch of things right. One member started a thread and succeeded in hand raising the baby from egg.
It would interest me to learn how you came to be hatching a pigeon egg? It would also be great if you could possibly post frequent updates and even photos so others could learn from your experience.

Here is a link to Laura's thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-help-with-malpositioned-pigeon-chick.1265397/
Oh - I definitely recommend you use a kitchen type scale and weigh him daily in grams. Also be sure his crop is emptying well between feedings. Anyway congrats on your success so far!
Thanks so much, for everyone’s help. I sure will. I’ve had so much trouble finding things on raising baby pigeons. I was able to save this pigeon because the parents kept cracking and killing eggs, and they never sat on them. This egg was given to me by a relative and I had an incubator and they wanted a baby. So I volunteered. I’m more familiar with chickens and turkeys cause they don’t rely on you as much haha.

Back
Top Bottom