HELP baby turkey swollen butt

Gina_cami7

Hatching
Apr 2, 2020
Okay so I had this baby for 4 days now, she probably 2 weeks old. My grandma didnt d even notice somthing was wrong with her till I went over her house, and I had to take her.
She is breathing heavy and her butt is HUGE, she can’t poop.The first night I had her, gave her an epsonsalt bath and was able to push out ALOT of wast. I took her to the vet the next day (worst decision of my life) spent $175 for a little bottle of laxative. She didn’t even tell me what was wrong with the Turkey or ANYTHING I ALREADY NEW.The medication isn’t even working, witch is the worse part :( I would take her to another vet but I literally spent all my money on the other vet, I’m 16 btw if anyone knows anything about thisPLEASE reply, thanks. image.jpg D3DD93CD-9E92-4F4F-9D6C-E0832228F8EB.jpeg image.jpg

Okay so I had this baby for 4 days now, she probably 2 weeks old. My grandma didnt d even notice somthing was wrong with her till I went over her house, and I had to take her.
She is breathing heavy and her butt is HUGE, she can’t poop.The first night I had her, gave her an epsonsalt bath and was able to push out ALOT of wast. I took her to the vet the next day (worst decision of my life) spent $175 for a little bottle of laxative. She didn’t even tell me what was wrong with the Turkey or ANYTHING I ALREADY NEW.The medication isn’t even working, witch is the worse part :( I would take her to another vet but I literally spent all my money on the other vet, I’m 16 btw if anyone knows anything about thisPLEASE reply, thanks.View attachment 2073022View attachment 2073013View attachment 2073023
What bedding material are you using in your brooder?

Regular tractor supply shaving and she has a blanket
That is probably the cause of your problem. Poults will eat shavings. If they don't have appropriate sized grit, they cannot digest the shavings, become plugged up and die. You should never put poults on shavings until they are at least one to two weeks old and only if they have grit available.

That is probably the cause of your problem. Poults will eat shavings. If they don't have appropriate sized grit, they cannot digest the shavings, become plugged up and die. You should never put poults on shavings until they are at least one to two weeks old and only if they have grit available.
This is the set up atm, and that’s the box I took her home in. Are these the shavings that would kill her??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 46
Oh my gosh! Saw this post, clicked it, hi Gina. I hope your baby turkey gets better. Sometimes there are those little drops of miracles left in the world, let us hope that one of those drops finds your turkey. :hit:hugs

Oh my gosh! Saw this post, clicked it, hi Gina. I hope your baby turkey gets better. Sometimes there are those little drops of miracles left in the world, let us hope that one of those drops finds your turkey. :hit:hugs
Im trying. Will post updates :(

Back
Top Bottom