Help bad butts!

B0BAF9C1-9030-4CD1-835D-6B930CFCD92A.jpeg

I agree, with a brooder plate, they likely don't need the heat lamp too unless it's very cold - what's your outdoor temps?

You had mentioned that they were doing better once you adjusted the heat - did you make it warmer or cooler.

Chicks only need 1 warm spot, let the rest be cool. Think about chicks with a Mama hen, she doesn't heat up the whole place, she just provides a warm spot for the chicks to snuggle under.

EBDAA595-D383-4D23-8132-543E7EF50D62.jpeg
I agree, with a brooder plate, they likely don't need the heat lamp too unless it's very cold - what's your outdoor temps?

You had mentioned that they were doing better once you adjusted the heat - did you make it warmer or cooler.

Chicks only need 1 warm spot, let the rest be cool. Think about chicks with a Mama hen, she doesn't heat up the whole place, she just provides a warm spot for the chicks to snuggle under.
It’s in the high 80’s but the commissary building has a root cellar so it never gets above 75 or below 65. I can adjust the lamp to only come on if it dips below 75.

The ambient temp in a brooder can be way lower than 75°F,
better that it is in fact, at least after the first few days.

Heat from a heat plate is not measured the same as heat from a lamp.

Heat from lamp is measured on the floor of brooder under the lamp.
A plate warms them differently, they have to be able to touch the plate or very close to it. Plate are best set at an angle to chicks can get get a bit closer or farther away from surface
The surface temp of most plates is about 110-120°F
(easiest to measure with an infrared temp gauge).

Where is your controller measuring the heat off the plate?
That plate looks very small, won't serve your 6 chicks for long.
MFG's population numbers for plates is as bad as for prefab coops.

Back
Top Bottom