Help, bald chickens! Winter is coming! (photos)

I have struggled with mites ever since I got chickens and have even had deaths from them and I can tell you that is not mite damage. I'm not saying they don't have them, but all that baldness is certainly not down to mites alone. I agree with Ranchhand in that your coop size is way too small for the number of birds you have. I think you either need to increase their space or reduce the number of birds you have if that is not possible. I would also suggest hanging a cabbage or similar for something for them to do and saddles are a good idea to help reduce the pecking. Protein enriched treats such as BOSS and scrambled egg wouldn't do any harm either. Best of luck with the poor things!

Do you have a mouse or rat problem? I have a naked butt chicken, but nothing like that. Never have I seen that type of loss especially in the rooster as well. Could they be scraping up against something in the coop? The one interesting point is whatever it is it is affecting the chickens in the same area. You had better get busy knitting, those girls will need a sweater this Winter.

Good luck.

Just my opinion but I think it looks like mites, some of the skin looks red and irritated. If they were pecking each other they would have wounds. Could also be a missing something in the feed - what do you feed them?
big_smile.png

Holy!! You have let this situation get tooo bad
sad.png
.. the reason why hens become featherless is because that means you way too many roosters.. When you have too many roosters they will feel like they have to be getting on the girls all the time.. And eventually your hens will become featherless on their chest, neck, and backs... Also your roosters will be constanly fighting with eachother, and thats why you might have featherless roosters too. You have to get rid of some of your roosters, you should only have about 1 rooster for every 5 girls... I was in the same sitiation and got rid of most of my roosters.. Now I have about 25 hens and 3 roosters... And they are all living in harmony
smile.png

Quote:
I have never seen a rat or a mouse in the yard! Doesn't mean they aren't there though. I have seen a few black snakes however. There isn't an area that they are scraping against that I can see. Plus they would have to be scraping their behinds and backs which would be difficult.

Quote:
I am thinking it may have been mites. It's been almost two weeks since I treated them and I am starting to see growth in some of the chickens. I spread some more DE on the floor of the hen house. I also left an ash bath with a little Sevendust in it but I don't see the hens using it often (recommended by the feed store). I may do one more treatment to kill any that may have hatched since the initial treatment.

My hens get Purina Layena normally but I am now giving them Flock Raiser for the extra protein (for about a month now). I also give them BOSS everyday and scratch every few days. I also feed them plain whole yogurt about once or twice a week.

BigDaddy'sGurl :

The OP has ONE rooster and 21 hens...

Try tossing them some dry cat food for added protein.

I have seen that posted elsewhere-any particular brand?​

Quote:
I have seen that posted elsewhere-any particular brand?

Mine won't touch the dry stuff. So if yours are as picky as mine you might try getting some canned from the dollar store. I'm going to try that soon. I do have a few girls with bare backs and it was from the roosters. Had 2 roosters with 35 girls but they sure had their favorites!! But it's been months since we got rid of them and they don't seem to be growing theor feathers back.
idunno.gif
Hope you figure out your problem. Will be keeping an eye on this thread and hopefully you can give an update!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom