HELP..Barred Rock he/she debate..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kimntep, Dec 22, 2011.

1. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    They are 14 weeks tomorrow and were born just hours apart. We shall call them #1 and #2...#1 has, in my opinion, a) larger comb, wattles and ear pads, b) longer, curvier tail feathers at more of an angle; #2 has a) shorter, stubbier comb, smaller ear pads b) shorter tail feathers more straight up. Opinions?? Yes, at first I thought both cockerels, but now I'm not sure and dying to know!!

[​IMG]
    #1 Lying down
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both together..
    [​IMG]

I know the differences may seem subtle, but enough of you have a more trained eye than me!

2. kimntep

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Nobody??? No opinions at all??? Come on, guys!

3. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Are they mixed with barred rock? The second one looks like it has some reddish in it's wing. I can't put my finger on it, but they look a little 'off' to be pure. I could be wrong however.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They both have hen feathers, which confuse me. Are you absolutely certain on the age? If you are, I would say you have 2 boys because of their combs. If I was going by feathering, I would say girls.. The red in the wings on #2 makes me think boy..

I know for certain that neither are barred rock.

5. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Hi.... from the pictures I would say they are both pullets... I do not see any pointy hackle or saddle feathers on either which should be present considering their size... any spurs beginning to enlarge? Here is a pic of one of my EE cockerels if you look closely at his neck and just behind his wings you will see the long narrow feathers that roosters get.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  6. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I think they are both Roos and they are from a BSL roo. I have a BSL roo and he can throw chicks with odd colors. The red on the wing will ONLY happen in roos. I can't really tell from the picks if the other one has any red on the wing but still looks like a roo with that big comb. Pullets don't usually get a big comb till they are closer to laying. I just can't really tell from the pics. We need closer pics of the heads for sure and the whole birds would be better.

If they are roos and you keep them for breeding they will not breed true like a barred rock. You will get some barred oddly and some not barred. The barring will NOT be sex linked either.

7. kimntep

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I've been on here researching all morning and just when I think I have it figured out, I figure I'm wrong! Legs are very yellow, yes there's some reddish/brown showing thru on both of their wings, legs are feathered, they are standard size, dad is a Gold Laced Black Cochin..
    [​IMG]

And mom is RSL, RIR or WL..can't be sure!

8. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I have a 12 week old Barred Rock- she's got a red face but comb and wattles are no where near the size of yours ??

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    Pure BR pullet at 12 weeks old. Look at how small her comb is.

[​IMG]
    Pure BR cockerel at 12 weeks old. They should be a much lighter barring than the females. He already has a curving tail. That's why I say yours have hen feathers. The combs are really messing with my head on your girls/boys though [​IMG]

My BR roo was hen-ish in behaviour until he was 20 weeks or so.

[​IMG]
    This pullet is 22 weeks old. Look how much smaller her comb is compared to yours at 14 weeks.

10. kimntep

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Also, I can see no long, pointy feathers on hackles or saddles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by