HELP!!!! beak injury

sassykea100

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 25, 2014
My chicken got a beak injury about a week ago. It happened just below her nose and it was more of a scrape type injury. It took off a small piece of the top layer of the beak just enough to make it bleed. My parents didn't think it was bad so they wouldn't let me treat it. Well now the injury is scabbed over but swollen and the tip of her beak below the injury has lost the top layer of the beak and is now thin and pink. That's what I'm worried about. It's swelling more and I the tip is getting thinner. I don't know how to stop it

The yellowish circle at the upper part is the original wound that's swelling and below it is pink and thin. How do I help her?

If you have any idea what this is and why it's happening please tell And/or you have info on how to treat it

I don't know what to do it is scabbed over so I don't know if any disinfectants will work

It doesn't seem to be getting better. Checked on it again today and it doesn't seem any better. I thought it was but it wasnt. It's even more swollen at the original wound and the tip is still weak. I don't know what to do. The original wound is pretty much healed up. But it's swollen still and it's causing the tip to weaken. I think the tip is loosing nutrients due to the swelling. But I'm not for sure. Does anyone know what could be causing the weakening of the tip and how I can help it?

I would quit using peroxide. It breaks down what is healing and exposes the wound all over again. I'd start an antibiotic in her water. Terramycin is a broad spectrum that I've had good luck with. Keep the beak clean and moist if possible. Vetericyn is a great wound cleaner.

I would quit using peroxide. It breaks down what is healing and exposes the wound all over again. I'd start an antibiotic in her water. Terramycin is a broad spectrum that I've had good luck with. Keep the beak clean and moist if possible. Vetericyn is a great wound cleaner.

Thanks this has been going on fer a few weeks now and it isn't getting better on its own and I didn't know which antibiotic to use

Nothing is working now that tip is practically gone. And the swelling isn't going down. And we have to go to a vet to get antibiotics to get rid of infection. Is there any antibiotics that we can give her that won't require a vet visit? We just dont have the money for a vet. Please help I'm really out of options and we don't know how to save that tip. Please help. She's our firsts and only chicken and can't stand to loose her. Please help

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom