HELP! Blood on foot

Okay I have her in a separate flat bottom cage with clean pine shavings, food, water. Does the feet look bad enough that I should clean it or do anything to it? Thanks
Maybe wrap it up in a bandage. Make it so it breathes and not too tight. This will keep blood flowing in her foot and keep it cleaner! Also, the industrial cloth can be irritating to birds with sensitive feet, and need to get used to it by "levelling up" on rough surfaces. Like when it's spring and your feet are sensitive to rough ground, it takes getting used to it.

Looks like bumblefoot to me. To prevent it you've got to give the birds places to get off the wire (sounds like you have) and also keep what wire/hardware cloth you have in the enclosure very clean by disinfecting it.

For this one, I'd keep it on soft bedding for awhile until the feet heal, soak the feet in Epsom salt baths, and rub some Neosporin without painkiller into the feet until it is absorbed. I'd do that every day and keep a special eye on that quail to make sure it doesn't develop septicemia.

Thanks to all that replied. I don't have the right medications and tools to treat her feet, so I decided to take her to the vet. The appointment is in two days. I am not confident to treat her by myself since I afraid to make things worst. When I tried to clean her feet today with some apple cider vinegar but I accidentally made it bleed again. She wouldn't even let me hold her without trying to escape so I can't bandage it or anything. I have anti-bacterial cream but I don't know if it will work. At this point all I can do is wait for the appointment. The examination fee will be $70 and who knows how much the surgery will cost. I want to give her a chance at least. But if nothing works out, I'm afraid I'll have to put her to sleep.

Thanks to all that replied. I don't have the right medications and tools to treat her feet, so I decided to take her to the vet. The appointment is in two days. I am not confident to treat her by myself since I afraid to make things worst. When I tried to clean her feet today with some apple cider vinegar but I accidentally made it bleed again. She wouldn't even let me hold her without trying to escape so I can't bandage it or anything. I have anti-bacterial cream but I don't know if it will work. At this point all I can do is wait for the appointment. The examination fee will be $70 and who knows how much the surgery will cost. I want to give her a chance at least. But if nothing works out, I'm afraid I'll have to put her to sleep.
All you need is to smear some anti bacterial/antiseptic cream, then wrap it up with a bandage. I don’t think she’s gonna need surgery if it’s a scraped up foot...

Back
Top Bottom