Help! Blue Boy's tail is torn!

So a lot of you know about my betta fish named Blue Boy. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-pet-coming-home-today-betta-fish-thread.1399931/

I recently got him a new tank with a filter. But all of a sudden I noticed that his tail fins are quite torn! :( Please tell me what to do. I'm not sure if it's from the filter sucking at him or not.

This is the tank: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cul...MI1ZOl47aq7AIViuGzCh3HkwlrEAYYASABEgJsp_D_BwE

View attachment 2367683View attachment 2367687
I kept Betta's for a long time. When I first saw the pictures, I saw the white specked areas on the edges of the fin related to "ICH" which is a fin infection.
Then, I noted the tattered fins which are related to a "fungal fin rot". His immune system must be decreased by a high stress level combined with poor quality of water, poor diet, or potentially a little fin injury.
The Fin rot is becoming closer to his body therefore, you will want to go to your local fish store and purchase the medication for this. The closer to the body, the more severe it will become and basically your Betta is rotting. So, treatment is imperative.
You may need to quarantine him if you have anything else in your tank over 2 gallons because the treatment will/may kill your plants.
I would not recommend using the salt method for treatment as I was not successful and my Bettas died. Therefore, I purchase Bettafix or Melafix to treat my Bettas.
I am certainly not an expert but, I did learn a lot when I kept Bettas for many, many years.
Good luck.

He has fin rot. Get some aquarium salt and measure out 1 heaped tablespoon for every 5 gallons (your tank is smaller, so you'll have to do some math).
Fin rot comes from bad water quality. Did you cycle the tank before putting the fish in? When did you do your last water change? Get a test kit and test the water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.
Do a water change right away. If you didn't cycle the tank, then there will be a build up of ammonia in the water which could kill your fish.
Do you have a heater in the tank? What temperature is his water?
Please get a bigger tank asap. 1.5 gallons isn't even close to big enough. He needs at least a 5 gallon.

I guess I'm not a good fish keeper. :( I can't get a bigger tank. I don't even know what a lot of this stuff means! 😢 What can I do?

Help!! This shredded bit on his tail is completely gone now! It's just cut off flat.
Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 2.37.23 PM.png

And I don't think it was the filter, because I shut it off last night and this morning that happened.

You need to treat him for fin rot. You also need to either cycle the tank or change his water daily.

When you set up a fish tank you need tiny bacteria to either get naturally established or you can buy bacteria in a bottle. The bacteria converts waste. Without the bacteria your fish will get poisoned by the ammonia, and nitrites in their waste. Do some reading about the nitrogen cycle. It's important to know when keeping fish. It's really the most important part. You are keeping a microscopic ecosystem that first just happen to live in. That's how I've always thought of fish keeping. Establish the bacteria colonies and keep them thriving to keep your tank healthy no matter the size of it.

For now I would change out half the water if possible. Than get the fungus tabs from Wal-Mart and treat your fish. Betta are sensitive to treatments, not all can handle them. Betta have a way if just dying. The other option is to change half the water than start adding aquarium salts. I have personally stopped keeping betta because I find them difficult. They are hit and miss to keep for me. They aren't compatible with my water quality, or the way I manage my tanks.

You aren't a bad owner. You are new to the fish hobby. It has a sharp learning curb, and there's ton to know. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom