help! broken foot!

notducky

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
My poor australorp, I don't know what happened to her! It looks like her foot got slammed in a door but I don't know how it's possible bc the door was shut. She has a compound fracture in one toe and the 2 other toes on that foot are scraped and gouged. She's calm but there is a lot of blood. I bathed her in warm water and epsom salts. I've set her toe, splinted and taped up. Sprayed with bactine. Right now she's calm, cleaning the blood from her feathers. She's in the bath tub on a towel bc I don't have another place for her besides a cat carrier. Is there anything else I can do for her? Chicken vet? Advil?

Bactine, I believe, contains lidocaine, which should not be used in chickens. Compound fractures can be dangerous because of getting a widespread infection in the bones from the different bacteria present on a chicken's foot including staph and E.coli, plus all the lovelies in dirt. I would probably re-soak the foot in betadine or chlorhexadrene (Hibiclens.) A vet would be good, just for the better antibiotics one could give you. Procaine Penicillin G is available at feed stores in the refrigerator, and Gallimycin (erythromycin) can be given in the water, but vet antibiotics are better. It sounds like you have done some good first aid so far. Aspirin 81 mg Low Dose or 1/4 of an adult aspirin can be given for pain twice a day if needed, but if she is not looking to be in pain, then it might keep her off the foot if you don't use it. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! She's eating and drinking now too

If you can keep her from getting infected, my bet is she will heal up and do well. Coretta broke a toe, not compound, and refused to tolerate any help from me. It healed crooked and she did well until a bear got her and her flock.

Back
Top Bottom