HELP! Broody has stolen an extra 9 eggs 😩

I don’t think I’m brave enough for that
If you're worried about accidentally killing chicks, wait until you're ready to throw eggs out anyway.
If you're worried about smell, do it outside. But if they were going to really stink, you would be smelling something just as you handle the eggs. So I don't think they will be too smelly.

These are all from four different hens so I’m wondering what could be happening.
Roosters can have favorite hens and ignore others, but with that many different hens I would have expected him to mate with at least SOME of them!

I highly recommend you collecting all of the eggs and taking them away from her and breaking her from being broody at this time.
Sitting for 27 days and then continuing to sit for another 3 weeks is not good.
I'm sorry I have not read the entire thread.
I would collect the eggs if you're for sure they are not developing...if They all look like the few you have posted here today.

No I cannot tell at this time.

I would recommend shining the light not on the side of the egg but directly on the fat end of the egg to look for veins.
Thank you - we’ll try again tomorrow. My son shone from all sides and this was the clearest we could get. My vision is not the best on a good day, so put me in a dark room looking at something small and glowing and trying to take pics of it is not the best 😂

If you're worried about accidentally killing chicks, wait until you're ready to throw eggs out anyway.
If you're worried about smell, do it outside. But if they were going to really stink, you would be smelling something just as you handle the eggs. So I don't think they will be too smelly.

Roosters can have favorite hens and ignore others, but with that many different hens I would have expected him to mate with at least SOME of them!
Oh he’s mating all right, he’s after them all day long, and quite often he’s successful - we have one with a saddle, and the others are getting there. It’s the killing the chicks that would stop me, so I’ll wait until there’s no doubt. Thanks again!

Oh he’s mating all right, he’s after them all day long, and quite often he’s successful - we have one with a saddle, and the others are getting there. It’s the killing the chicks that would stop me, so I’ll wait until there’s no doubt.
Since you did order an incubator, you could put the eggs in there if you want to give them longer but not keep the hen on the nest.

It could mean they weren't fertilized to begin with but it could also mean the Brody is not actually broody and not staying on the eggs like she should be.
I’m pretty sure she’s 100% broody. Only ever off the nest once a day, and is desperate to get back on the eggs as soon as she’s eaten. She seems very dedicated!

Since you did order an incubator, you could put the eggs in there if you want to give them longer but not keep the hen on the nest.
Yes, I think that’s what we’ll do. I’ll give it a little longer, try and see if we can’t actually successfully candle something, but if not then we’ll get them in the incubator.

I'm sorry I have not read the entire thread.
I would collect the eggs if you're for sure they are not developing...if They all look like the few you have posted here today.
Ok, we’ll compare more eggs tomorrow and take it from there. Poor girl!

If you want, you can also try buying day-old chicks and sticking them under her during the night. That way, her hard work pays off, but she is off the nest.
Ok I *think* we found some eggs with life in them! We candled 10 of the 15 and found 2 where we could see veins and one had movement! So then we panicked and put them all back 😂. We took video and you can just about make out veins in one, and kind of see movement in the other if you use your imagination a bit, but it was much clearer to the eye! Lmk what you think - we’re setting up the incubator now in case there are other later ones. I am attaching screen shots where you might be able to make out veins. Thanks so much to everyone for your input - it’s been incredibly helpful.

Attachments

• 08E30F1E-1FDD-4083-9CE5-3FB508523354.png
    08E30F1E-1FDD-4083-9CE5-3FB508523354.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • BF8D023A-74CA-4829-8A07-EF7F4AACD751.png
    BF8D023A-74CA-4829-8A07-EF7F4AACD751.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom