Help bumble foot

JennaMadrid

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2022
So I just noticed my duck limping and checked her feet and she has a BAD case of bumble foot. I soaked her in the tub for 30 minutes and tried to pick off the black scabs and they’re not budging. Granted I didn’t try very hard because I thought I was hurting her. I watched a bunch of videos where they were cut out, but I’m terrified of hurting her. Any advice. Or does anyone know if they feel the pain while cutting. I really don’t have the money to take her to the vet.

If you can post some pictures of these bumbles? Usually it takes quite a few soaks in warm epsom salt water before you can get the scabs to begin to loosen. But get some pictures so we can advise better.

IMG_0557.jpeg

It’s on both feet. And they’re really hot. I know the sepsis can spread and kill her. Are those bad enough that I should go to the vet? Or try myself? Thanks

It's up to you whether to take her to the vet or treat her yourself. I'm not sure if the vet would even treat her feet they may give you an antibiotic which you can order online Baytril would be the one to get.

You could soak her feet a couple times a day and see if after 3-4 days you can begin to work the scabs up. I use my fingernail and start working up the scab. Then there will either be the core inside that will need to be removed and sometimes it will come out with the scab.

If you feel better about taking her to the vet then by all means do. I have only had one duck with bumble. more chickens and I ended up taking her to the vet because there was no scab just a hard round hard ball like a marble in size, so she went on antibiotics for 7 days and nothing changed so I used a scalpel and made a small slit and popped it out. Then she finished up her antibiotic.

Last edited:
Hi @JennaMadrid, where I live the vet is usually not an option. Had a case of bumble feet with one of my ladies this summer (my duck probably hurt her feet while munching on raspberries)

I first soaked her foot but that didn't work quite well enough and the bumble feet got worse to the point it almost came through her feet on the top.

Than I took @Miss Lydia 's scalpel approach. Since I had no antibiotics to use, I cleaned the affected foot very well with loads of medical alcohol. and after I got everything out, I applied a thick layer of Betadine (Iodine cream) and taped her foot with some gause and waterproof tape so she could swim.
Had to redo this once the next day and the second day the foot was already almost healed an certainly closed. She recovered without any problems.

If you are going to try this, please be really carefull with the scalpel. And I advise you to find yourself an assistent because being careful, keeping a duck still and removing the pus at once is very tricky...

I don't know how familiar you are with pus in waterfowl. Maybe you already know this, but instead of a liquid kind of material, pus in waterfowls is stringy and solid.

Hi @JennaMadrid, where I live the vet is usually not an option. Had a case of bumble feet with one of my ladies this summer (my duck probably hurt her feet while munching on raspberries)

I first soaked her foot but that didn't work quite well enough and the bumble feet got worse to the point it almost came through her feet on the top.

Than I took @Miss Lydia 's scalpel approach. Since I had no antibiotics to use, I cleaned the affected foot very well with loads of medical alcohol. and after I got everything out, I applied a thick layer of Betadine (Iodine cream) and taped her foot with some gause and waterproof tape so she could swim.
Had to redo this once the next day and the second day the foot was already almost healed an certainly closed. She recovered without any problems.

If you are going to try this, please be really carefull with the scalpel. And I advise you to find yourself an assistent because being careful, keeping a duck still and removing the pus at once is very tricky...

I don't know how familiar you are with pus in waterfowl. Maybe you already know this, but instead of a liquid kind of material, pus in waterfowls is stringy and solid.
:goodpost:

Extra edit: And to answer your question about pain: Yes they feel it. My duck said QUACK very loud when removing the pus. but you do this for her own good. And 1 minute after you are done they have forgotten that you hurt them. Especially when you feed them some mealworms

Those are really bad bumbles, and I would opt for a vet, personally. There's a ton of swelling there and she has several. They do feel pain, and if you attempt this yourself she's going to need to be kept somewhere clean and dry while they heal, and you should plan to change bandages and reapply ointments every day. Then check the environment to see if you can figure out why her feet got to this point. Try to rid any problem areas that might be rough on the feet, making sure she has plenty of soft ground where she spends most of her time, and that she has clean and dry areas. Because pekins are heavier birds they are more prone to bumblefoot, and it's a good idea to check their feet every week or two to try to catch them early when it's much less work to heal them up.

Ouch, poor duck. I applaud the others who have resolved the surgery and other treatment themselves. I would never be able to do that — I don't have the confidence and I don't want to cause my ducks pain. I've had about 5 cases of bumblefoot over the years, and I have gotten resolution with the avian vets. I personally don't like Baytril, as it has never worked for me. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom