Help! Can chickens die from poultry lice!!!!!

Every one is back to normal! We put them in out green house together, with Guardo, the rooster, free and the little ladies, who we have recently names Sugar and Bliss, wrapped in a towel. I came back 15 minuets later and the ladies were out of th towel and hunkered down in the shade. We put them in a run in the sun all together, I have been keeping the rooster separate, so they could huddle if need. tHey are grazing now and Sugar and Bliss are standing in the sun with there eyes closed. I thin other sun bathing! They ae very happy and doing great! The permethrin is still on them and I put permethrin dust down in there separate night time kennels, and will dust them tonight when I put them in there kennels to bed! Thank you soooooooo much! I would have had no idea what to do if you hadn't suggested this! :love Avery

I was going to do a treatment today but there was thundering and lightening all around us and dark, but we didn't get a drop of rain. I sprayed originally for flies but I think some of the birds mostly in one coop may have had mites. I saw some minor feather loss so started my spraying regime. I have already sprayed the past couple of weeks. THe birds are looking better. I suspect mites were attacking them at night because I didn't see any when I checked during the day. We have been getting evening rains so I haven't went out at night to check the birds and since they are looking better I don't think I need to. Will do a spray tomorrow earlier. Off to collect the eggs.

Put them in a nice warm place for tonight. Bathing is ok but they have to be dried well. I have used a hair dryer. I bathe my birds prior to taking them to shows. After they get their baths I wrap them up like a burrito so I can check their feet, legs, comb and wattles.
IMG_20151022_133210.jpg
IMG_20151022_133853.jpg

One of my hens that was a champion at a show.
IMG_3456.JPG

Thank you guys! I put the permethrin powder all over the bedding and will powder them in the morning, and I sprayed the chickens and the kennels heavily with the permethrin. I also put the double sided tape around the base of the kennel and around any openings so we will catch any lice trying to escape. Thanks soooo much for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom