Help! Can chickens die from poultry lice!!!!!

Pics
For a serious infection like yours I would use the drench wash MALABAN as a first step. Completely submerge the chooks including their heads. You can literally see the mites/lice falling off with this stuff. Leftover Malaban wash can be used to treat coop and Ground areas of their runs. Empty into a watering can and liberally spread about. IVERMECTIN as a spot on treatment is also very effective. Treat the chickens with the Ivermectin Spot on (1ml on the back of their neck on the skin) 14 days after MALABAN wash.. It is important to do the 2 treatments 14 days apart to catch the hatched eggs that were not killed with the first dose.... You MUST treat the coop at the same time. Destroy all bedding. Completely clean out the entire coop. Spray entire coop with Coopex or similar including all walls and ceilings etc. The mice/lice love wood so make sure you spray surface spray on their perches as well after they have been cleaned. Put PESTENE powder in their nesting boxes with fresh bedding.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/malaban-wash.1103351/post-16972065
MIteLifeCycle.jpg

For a serious infection like yours I would use the drench wash MALABAN as a first step. Completely submerge the chooks including their heads. You can literally see the mites/lice falling off with this stuff. Leftover Malaban wash can be used to treat coop and Ground areas of their runs. Empty into a watering can and liberally spread about. IVERMECTIN as a spot on treatment is also very effective. Treat the chickens with the Ivermectin Spot on (1ml on the back of their neck on the skin) 14 days after MALABAN wash.. It is important to do the 2 treatments 14 days apart to catch the hatched eggs that were not killed with the first dose.... You MUST treat the coop at the same time. Destroy all bedding. Completely clean out the entire coop. Spray entire coop with Coopex or similar including all walls and ceilings etc. The mice/lice love wood so make sure you spray surface spray on their perches as well after they have been cleaned. Put PESTENE powder in their nesting boxes with fresh bedding.
I don't think Malaban and Pestene aren't available in the US, I think they are an AU thing.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, for the additional info, My three at home are doing fabulous! I have seen 0 mite activity, and lice! I am gonna do the second spray this week and attack there kennels. I am also heading to my grandparents to finally treat there chickens for the mites. i will grab everythingI need for it at the tractor supply so anything else that my help tell me and I will pick it up. Right now, I have permethrin dust, permethrin Spray, double sided tape, to put in the coop. Wish me luck, I will update on my grandparent progress!

Thanks guys, for the additional info, My three at home are doing fabulous! I have seen 0 mite activity, and lice! I am gonna do the second spray this week and attack there kennels. I am also heading to my grandparents to finally treat there chickens for the mites. i will grab everythingI need for it at the tractor supply so anything else that my help tell me and I will pick it up. Right now, I have permethrin dust, permethrin Spray, double sided tape, to put in the coop. Wish me luck, I will update on my grandparent progress!
If you want to keep lice and mites off your chickens sevin powder and frontline spray will do it in one application once a year.
Make a powder puff out of panty hose full of sevin powder and powder each bird extremely well around their vents, under wings, saddle, cape etc. Then one spritz of frontline under each wing and above or below the vent. They will be gone in 24 hrs. Or you can screw around with all the permethrin, natural sprays, hope and a prayer etc.. I prefer solutions.
frontline is not approved for poultry and sevin is demonized nowadays too.

If you want to keep lice and mites off your chickens sevin powder and frontline spray will do it in one application once a year.
Make a powder puff out of panty hose full of sevin powder and powder each bird extremely well around their vents, under wings, saddle, cape etc. Then one spritz of frontline under each wing and above or below the vent. They will be gone in 24 hrs. Or you can screw around with all the permethrin, natural sprays, hope and a prayer etc.. I prefer solutions.
frontline is not approved for poultry and sevin is demonized nowadays too.
Get this one too while you're at it :D;)https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-chickens-have-on-them-small-bugs.1407530/

Update-
Hi every one, I have sprayed and dusted Sugar and Bliss and Guardo twice now. I have been checking and have seen 0 lice or mite activity! I put up double sided tape in the kennels and haven't cough anything! i am so stocked! As for my grandparents chickens, I have kinda given up on them. I was gonna go down there to deliver a cat for the rat problem but Bella the kitty is pretty skittish yet so we haven't gotten down there yet. I am super grateful for all the help though, and i have one question, does the permethrin dry and leave flaky film on there skin? I sprayed them yesterday and noticed the film. I can get pic if needed, and I'm not to worry jus wanted to make sure it wasn't anything unusual. Thanks so much, Avery

Back
Top Bottom