Help! Candling Blue Americana eggs!

chickimoma

Chirping
8 Years
I have a broody Marans sitting on 6 eggs brought over by a friend; 5 Americana and 1 Cochin. I don't keep roosters but she has a Marans Roo and we wanted to try for some olive eggers. My broody has been great but my problem is candling the blue eggs. I've tried 3 different flash lights, the last one being a small high powered LED, and all I can see is the air pocket. I'm fairly certain the Cochin egg is infertile because I can see the yolk spin in the shell. This is day 12/13. Any tips? I tried candling about 4 days ago and could see the air pockets then too. I can't tell if they've changed. HELP!

For my EE eggs I had to build a make shift candling box with a fairly bright bulb in it, and then also use an LED Flashlight as well. One on top and one on the bottom.

Here is a picture of and EE egg that is on day 17 Candling from both ends. You have to look really closely, but you can see one large vein that is looped toward the bottom where it gets clear.

Thank you so MUCH!!! I don't feel like such a dummy if it takes all that "candle power" to see. I'll go home tonight and give it a try. They should hatch, if viable, Wed. or Thurs. I don't know if I'll ever do this again but I'll be better informed about candling EE eggs.
Cynthia

Back
Top Bottom