Help! Can't get rid of roundworms!

DawnLee

Chirping
Jul 15, 2022
My vet prescribed IVM to treat my flock for roundworms. I have treated them several times over the last 7 months and I can't get rid of the roundworms. I just treated a few days ago for the 2nd round after 10 days treating 1st round. What else can I do? I have 17 birds of varying sizes and ages. Please provide instructions with recommendations. Thanks

My vet prescribed IVM to treat my flock for roundworms. I have treated them several times over the last 7 months and I can't get rid of the roundworms. I just treated a few days ago for the 2nd round after 10 days treating 1st round. What else can I do? I have 17 birds of varying sizes and ages. Please provide instructions with recommendations. Thanks
If you are referring to Ivermectin, it will not treat large roundworms in poultry as I found out years ago. Benzimidazoles are very effective treating and eliminating worms.
Here's a link for you to read, please read post # 2 and #4:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worming-questions.1515680/#post-25504826

I found it in their poop when I scoop it from the poop board. I clean daily so I see when they have it. My vet prescribed the IVM. Not sure what relevance the article has though.
the pdf the article links to, which was written by a vet, says that "Heterakis and Ascaridia are a couple of poultry worms that do exist in some backyard flocks. Proper husbandry/ management is important, as these two worms don’t cause a lot of problems, unless the parasite load is very high." If all you're doing is giving meds, effective or not, and they continue to live/range on the same ground, they will keep getting re-infected (the worm eggs live long in the environment, http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/roundworms), so the treatment will be cyclical and never-ending.

the pdf the article links to, which was written by a vet, says that "Heterakis and Ascaridia are a couple of poultry worms that do exist in some backyard flocks. Proper husbandry/ management is important, as these two worms don’t cause a lot of problems, unless the parasite load is very high." If all you're doing is giving meds, effective or not, and they continue to live/range on the same ground, they will keep getting re-infected (the worm eggs live long in the environment, http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/roundworms), so the treatment will be cyclical and never-ending.
Meanwhile; what are the worms doing inside the chickens innards? Having a party? Yep :)

Keep in mind that worms are feeding off the nutrients that are meant for the chickens to survive. They slowly starve a chicken to death and they are multiplying in the process. One female lays tens of thousands of eggs a day and are excreted onto and into the soil, contaminating the soil.

Chickens constantly peck and pick the soil, in doing so they pick up worm eggs and swallow them, starting the worms lifecycle all over again.
Worm eggs can survive up to 3- 5 years in the soil.
Worming on a regular basis and rotating forage areas will eliminate the wormload.
Birds that are penned, kept on the same soil requires frequent wormings.
It's the soil in the environment dictates how often birds need to be wormed.

Last edited:
I use the no egg withdrawal dose of liquid goat Safeguard for my flock. Not too many birds so I dose each one individually using a tiny piece of bread. The dosage for no egg withdrawal is .0045 ml/pound. Yes, it is a crazy tiny amount, but doable with a .5 cc syringe :)
They each get their dose once a day for 5 days. You may continue to see worms for the first day or two, but they should be gone by the end of the week. I have heard that the maximum dose of Safeguard ( .23 ml/lb ) may cause new feather damage if given while a chicken is molting, but I'm not sure if that is true of the lower dosage.
The directions for dosing a whole flock at once in their mash are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/
I don't trust my flock to have the top 3-4 birds eat all the mash and the bottom 3-4 birds to get nothing though🤣
Here is a picture of my de-worming setup.
IMG_20220930_132739333.jpg

Meanwhile; what are the worms doing inside the chickens innards? Having a party? Yep :)

Keep in mind that worms are feeding off the nutrients that are meant for the chickens to survive. They slowly starve a chicken to death and they are multiplying in the process. One female lays tens of thousands of eggs a day and are excreted onto and into the soil, contaminating the soil.

Chickens constantly peck and pick the soil, in doing so they pick up worm eggs and swallow them, starting the worms lifecycle all over again.
Worm eggs can survive up to 3- 5 years in the soil.
Worming on a regular basis and rotating forage areas will eliminate the wormload.
Birds that are penned, kept on the same soil requires frequent wormings.
It's the soil in the environment dictates how often birds need to be wormed.
so, we are agreed,
the treatment will be cyclical and never-ending.
The stocking density is also a factor.

Back
Top Bottom