Can I use Ivermectin for depluming mites while treating roundworms with fenbendazole at the same time?

LindsayDarling

Songster
May 26, 2023
Lake County California
I just dosed my flock w 1st round of fenbendazole for roundworms. I bathed the hens that had dirty vents frm the worms. I noticed some still had depluming mites when they were wet. I mean I believe so because several other hens have feather growth and no redness except thesešŸ™ ( i treated 2 months ago) and one has scaly leg mitesšŸ˜“ Can I treat them w ivermectin again r wait til the fenbendazole dosing is done?

Yes, treatment with both is routinely done and reasonably well studied (albeit not in chickens). You can even buy the two combined as a single horse medicine now .

As to studies, see for instance and this and this.
Key word "not in chickens."

Fenbendazole is a Benzimidazole. When administered to chickens, it is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream and mostly excreted. Three days after administration, Fenbendazole is cleared from their system, there is minor residue in the eggs.

Ivermectin stays in the system for a longer period of time with mammals.

As far as I know, there is no stated withdrawal period established for the use of Ivermectin in poultry. I know an individual that called the manufacturer (Merck) years ago asking the same question. She was simply told that Ivermectin is not for use in chickens.
Besides that, people used it during the Covid pandemic and the people I know who used it are still alive and kicking.

Key word "not in chickens."

Fenbendazole is a Benzimidazole. When administered to chickens, it is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream and mostly excreted. Three days after administration, Fenbendazole is cleared from their system, there is minor residue in the eggs.

Ivermectin stays in the system for a longer period of time with mammals.

As far as I know, there is no stated withdrawal period established for the use of Ivermectin in poultry. I know an individual that called the manufacturer (Merck) years ago asking the same question. She was simply told that Ivermectin is not for use in chickens.
Besides that, people used it during the Covid pandemic and the people I know who used it are still alive and kicking.
Yes, ivermectin isn't approved for poultry last I checked, and isn't studied in part as result. I prefer permethrin for mites, but I'd be lying if I suggested that plenty of people don't use Iverson instead. Just as ive used anthelmintics not intended for chickens when deworming the herd.

Yes, ivermectin isn't approved for poultry last I checked, and isn't studied in part as result. I prefer permethrin for mites, but I'd be lying if I suggested that plenty of people don't use Iverson instead. Just as ive used anthelmintics not intended for chickens when deworming the herd.
Ditto. I prefer permethrin as well.
I stopped using Ivermectin years ago due to ineffectiveness eliminating large roundworms.
It's most likely due to its overuse treating mites in poultry rather than its primary purpose as a wormer. Then again, its not for use in poultry.

Back
Top Bottom