Treated for roundworm, now suspecting gapeworm? Pls help this stressed newb. Vid incd.

LindsayDarling

Songster
May 26, 2023
Lake County California
HI yall. I am needy and stressed!. Ive been on here way too much😪 I was just an animal lover wanting to save some chickens frm dying on a snowy mtn. N boy hv I been put thru the ringer! Theyve had depluming mites and roundworm, scaley leg. I thought my silkie had sour crop but I thnk it was frm the worms ( i seen one in her poop after massaging her crop) She was a lil wheezy several days ago and I seen her yawning a few times. I thought maybe to adjust her full crop. I treated for sour crop and dosed my flock individually w fenbendazole 2 days ago. Her crop is better, no wheezing. Today I seen her yawning again eventhough her crop is going down. She is not gaping or open mouth breathing. I think Im losing it trying to keep these guys healthy and happy. No other chicken has had these symptoms. Shld I dose her w fenvendazole for the next 3-5 days? .25ml x lb. (or whatver is recommended for gapeworm) Will it hurt her if she doesnt have gapeworm? Thanks for bearing w me. Below is a vid. She is also brooding n easy to monitor. I ordered elector psp n gonna do a complete coop cleanse when it gets here.

Your video does not show up. You can upload one to YouTube with a link here. If you suspect gapeworms, then it requires 5 days of fenbendazole or SafeGuard given 1/4 ml per pound orally. Gapeworms are rare, and it could be a symptom of respiratory disease, or a crop problem.

Heres the video thanks for the tip!

Also its 95° here. Do chickens yawn to get more air in extreme heat? My silkie has been eating and drinking n acting her sweet self the whole time. She began to brood and I didnt break her because my focus was with having to catch and weigh my flock in a bucket w a fish scale n dose em all. Theres fans n a swamp cooler in the coop.

Last edited:
How does her crop feel? She doesn’t appear to be gaping or in distress in the video. Has she been adjusting her crop? I have had a few broodies whose crops were full and puffy, possibly from the slowdown of their metabolism. If she is not on eggs that you wish to hatch,I would remove her from the nest box, and break her soon. They can get weak if left broody too long.

No harm to treat for gapeworm. I have witnessed the horrifying, heart wrenching end of chickens with gapeworm.. it’s definitely worth it, gapeworm is really bad. They do yawn to adjust their crops, but I’d personally dose just to be safe.

Is there air in her crop by any chance?

How does her crop feel? She doesn’t appear to be gaping or in distress in the video. Has she been adjusting her crop? I have had a few broodies whose crops were full and puffy, possibly from the slowdown of their metabolism. If she is not on eggs that you wish to hatch,I would remove her from the nest box, and break her soon. They can get weak if left broody too long.
Her crop has been getting better at emptying each day. Its not as ballon like, but still not emptying completely. Ive been massaging her daily and following the sour crop treatment method from an srticle on here. Also treating for round worms. She hasnt been in distress the whole time. It may be frm the broodiness, that never crossed my mind. I will break her now that I know. Thank you!! 🥲 I think I am losing it like my husband is suggesting😅

No harm to treat for gapeworm. I have witnessed the horrifying, heart wrenching end of chickens with gapeworm.. it’s definitely worth it, gapeworm is really bad. They do yawn to adjust their crops, but I’d personally dose just to be safe.

Is there air in her crop by any chance?
Thats whats Im scared of, im already am anxious ocd type🫤 How do I know if theres air?

Back
Top Bottom