HELP!!! Chick has been in the same position for 10 hours

JT_Chicks

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
This chick has been like this for at least 10 hours I thought I would help it by putting water on the membrane and then pulling back some egg shell and then there was a little blood when it pipped but nothing afterward should I help a little more I broke some shell like a zip none of the membrane though.
image.jpg

I had a similar situation with quail recently. Here’s what I did. I used a Qtip with a little mineral oil to moisten the membrane. I had used coconut oil previously on assisting a chick and the other chicks kept pecking at the coconut oil areas on his body. Mineral oil isn’t actually greasy so used sparingly it works better than water for me. Once the membrane is moistened you can see the blood veins clearly, avoid those but if you do pull them back and they bleed stop, put a dab of corn silk or corn starch on the bleed point. If there are lots of veins it’s not ready. Leave that section alone. Mostly make sure it’s getting air and breathing. I opened and moistened all the way around and if there weren’t veins showing using tweezers to make a narrow zip line all the way around. Put back into incubator and let the chick expand and kick the shell off on its own. It seems to help finalize the hatching process for natural development. Any bits stuck to the chick when it fluffs up can be dabbed with mineral oil (Qtip) the same way to work stubborn bits off. If it’s not quite ready put it back in and maybe do a little more in a few hours. It took me overnight to get a couple malpositioned quail babies out. The chick I did with the coconut oil took a lot longer to feather out normally but he’s fine now, I just had to keep him separate from the other chicks for a week. Good luck.

I hope your duckling is well! The only time I ever had to assist one of my eggs, it still hatched successfully and was healthy.

Ok thank y’all but I noticed this morning there was yellow under the membrane is that the yolk?

I ask able very get him out but now he is stuck in the position he was in in the eggs is he stiff and will it go to normal?

Back
Top Bottom