Help chick hatching with crooked beak and no eyes at all !!!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Louisiana
I have a mixed breed baby chick that was supposed to hatch a few days ago and so I candled to check to see if his beak was in the air cell and it was but I could see something didnt look right it looked like 2 beaks in there and I know it wasnt two babies egg wasnt a double yolker . So I opened the egg up just in the air cell part . Well when I did I could his beak is severely crooked but something else looked odd to me so I pulled back some more of the egg and noticed he has absolutely no eyes on either side no eyes sockets at all doesnt look like . Had I not opened the egg up he would have died bc with his beak he could not have gotten out on his own mof I dont think I even seen a egg tooth on his beak . What should I do I mean looks like the odds r against the lil one. Should I help him out the rest of the way r just wait and see what happens . Poor lil one I feel so badly that he is so handicapped. Doesnt look good for him does it ? I wont be able to cull , I cant even kill bugs so idk what to do . Without eyes to see the food and water and the beak like that I dont think it could ever survive. What in the world caused this poor baby to develop like this ?

When one hatches often enough, deformities are inevitable.
Any deformity can be a genetic anomaly.
Crossed beak is normally hereditary.
Missing eyes is often either high incubator temperature or low oxygen during the first week.
If you want to be a good chicken keeper, you'll put your big girl pants on and learn to cull when necessary and learn to squash bugs.
If you can't do your job, don't hatch - or keep chickens.
Being a responsible animal husbandryman isn't all fun and games. It involves making tough decisions and taking decisive action.

Last edited:
Um I dont need anybody to be ugly and rude . It's called having a heart and loving animals too much to hurt them . Being rude about it, doesnt help me in the least bit . Learn some manners and compassion for ppl that just don't have the heart to hurt r kill something . Bc that doesn't make me an irresponsible animal husbandry. Ppl like you are no help to ppl like me that actually need help or advice bc being rude and ugly doesnt help anything at all in the situation but piss ppl off . Thanks but no thanks for ur comment . But my God bless you anyway !!!

Oh and btw I've been doing this for a while and never have I had this problem EVER and have had lots of babies . This chick is from a broody hen . But never had one at all ever with any problems except a foot issue once before that's it

Who said anything about letting it suffer? My husband handles the culling I cant do it , I'm too soft hearted . I was asking if the chick could possible survive like this before I just go killing it . Hell I read about a chicken living without a head for years , back a long time ago . So i always always give something a chance first before just killing it . Every living creature deserves to be given a chance to live . And that's all I was trying to see if anyone has ever had both a crooked beak and no eyes and it survive. Bc I've never seen anything like it before in my experience.

He isn't all the way out the shell yet. So I cant even tell yet . I was trying to see if I should go ahead and help him completely out or not . I mean he may not even make it for long once out the egg , could be even more wrong with him idk yet . From what I can see the tongue is sticking out the side sometimes itll stick it out further then pull it back In but i can see it always . Sorta like a dog without teeth their tongue hangs out the side. Poor thing i hate to see the poor baby like that . But sometimes mother nature finds a way for these special lil babies to survive .

Obviously something went wrong in the chicks development. ChickenCanoe gave an answer as to what may have went wrong and what to do about it. I am overly sensitive to a fault and I do not see anything rude about the post in answer to OP. It was a bit harsh, but entirely accurate and true. Nobody is accusing the OP of being a bad chicken owner, they just pointed out it may be best if the chick is euthanized due to quality of life issues.
Raising livestock requires one to make the best decisions for the animal in question, including when to end an animals suffering. I understand not everyone can deal with culling, it is why I no longer raise dairy goats. Just do the best for the creatures in your care , and when in asking for advice... don't shoot the messenger.

Yes ma'am I am willing . I had one before that couldnt walk its legs had something wrong and no matter what I did couldnt correct it when it was a baby but she got around and ate and drank and grew up to be a sweet energetic hen . She would take in any babies I put with her and teach them and let them get under her for warmth but she never laid an egg a day in her life .

Back
Top Bottom