HELP!!!CHICK IS DEAD HEN IS HURT

Sorry for your loss, it's very difficult when that happens. We also recently suffered a hawk attack though fortunately no losses just the trauma. You should keep your chickens put up (together) in a secure area for several days to discourage another aerial attack, they can even attack full grown chickens for food so the hen isn't safe either. And re-evaluate what you can do to help protect them from an aerial predator... for example getting higher fence posts + placing netting or wire mesh across the top of their run area and adding more hiding areas for your chickens.

I also recommend upgrading your coop in the very near future to something a bit bigger and more secure. Because night time predators should be your next worry. A raccoon can reach through the bars of a crate or something could dig under and into that little coop. These are all just tips to help stop more losses from predators. Many of us are on similar learning curves or constantly having to adjust something to stop a predator because chickens are very tasty easy meals to a lot of animals unfortunately :hit
my mom and dad said that they already put too much money into them so they are not going to cover up the run and we are moving in a few months but where we are moving we have lots of raccoons so maybe when we move ill try to cover their run

I'm sorry for your loss this morning.
I think you said in your video that your Hen is not accepting your new addition of chicks. If that is correct, it's important that you begin the integration process of them. "Look but don't touch".
Yes, the hawk will be back. Clean up the remaining parts of your dead chicken so not to feed the hawk.
You can secure Hardware cloth wire around the dog crate with zip ties.
Walmart sales it too..
Then the hawk or raccoon can't reach through and grab a chicken and pull it through the crate bars.
Put the secured dog crate next to the Hen house for the "look and can't touch". You can read all about integration.
I wish you luck.
Now that the hawk knows you have chickens, it will be back. NOW is a good time to protect your girls.
she is starting to accept them but they are still small so I don't really want to put them inside the coop with her until they are at least 6 weeks old because they cant run around anymore unless I'm there because of the hawk. she likes to sit with them and watch them run around but my hen is super scared to leave her coop know

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've got a coop with enough predator prevention on it to be Fort Knox, but I still worry. My MIL had raccoons get into a homemade coop a solid 20 years ago and I still remember the bits of chicken all over the yard. I'm a nurse now but I used to be a licenced veterinary technician, and still, it was awful.

Following on SegiDream's comment, I have an Aleko coop (the big one, six nest boxes, locks everywhere). I think it runs between $850 and $1100 depending on where you buy it and how you have it shipped. I was able to pick mine up at the Aleko manufacturing plant and so only paid $590. Great coop and great company.

What else. I have six Nite-Guard solar predator repellent thingys attached at different points--Google it for the real name. I also have Nite-Guard Repellent tape--it's this iridescent tape you either nail or stick or drape around the coop, and it sort of adds to the predator no-go zone.

We back to a greenbelt and have everything from raccoon to black bear (although the latter really doesn't want to be around humans, same for coyote) plus an osprey nest on a communications tower just behind the house. Hawks of all types are very common and we also have bald eagles and owls. I'm thankful for all of the wildlife, but I take precautions for my girls.

I'm newly back into chickens, but when I last had hens, around ten years ago, the Nite-Guard solar predator thingys worked very well. The girls had the inner door of their coop locked every night, of course, so maybe it was that, but the Nite-Guard product was durable and didn't hurt.

The last thing is, if I am letting the girls (Barnevelder, Bielefelder, and Appenzeller Spitzhauben) out into the yard to forage, my Anatolian Shepherd, Lily, is out with them. Anatolians are a livestock guardian breed, but please be aware that no dog of any breed is guaranteed to be good with chickens.

Again, my heart goes out to you this morning. Take care.

Let her spend time with them inside under your watch.
I wouldn't let them outside unless you are physically outside watching them. You can try a fake snake or fake owl. Perhaps a scarecrow. Its Halloween time so getting stuff to scare the hawk might be easier now.
Hang CDs in your tree with Monofilament/fishing line. The spinning CDs flash the light as it spins. You need to deter that hawk.
I also use windchims. The dollar tree has some.

Since your moving soon, you can begin getting ideas together to protect them at your new place.
I know you will need a parent with you but, you can keep a watchful eye on your local Craigslist under the "Free" section. People give away good stuff.
You can also post in the "wanted" section for stuff your looking for.
Just some ideas.

Thank you for explaining it. But she did try to protect them from the hawk or was that just her own chicks?
this happened at 5 am so I'm guessing she ran out to go protect them from the hawk but got hurt while doing it because yesterday she had no blood on her face. whenever they cry because they are scared of watermelon she runs to help them. if she didn't run out to get them then that means the hawk went inside her coop becuase I leave the the door wide open but I will be locking it from now on

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom