HELP!!!CHICK IS DEAD HEN IS HURT

Since your moving soon, you can begin getting ideas together to protect them at your new place.
I know you will need a parent with you but, you can keep a watchful eye on your local Craigslist under the "Free" section. People give away good stuff.
You can also post in the "wanted" section for stuff your looking for.
Just some ideas.
thank you I'll look into it

Let her spend time with them inside under your watch.
I wouldn't let them outside unless you are physically outside watching them. You can try a fake snake or fake owl. Perhaps a scarecrow. Its Halloween time so getting stuff to scare the hawk might be easier now.
Hang CDs in your tree with Monofilament/fishing line. The spinning CDs flash the light as it spins. You need to deter that hawk.
I also use windchims. The dollar tree has some.
whenever I have free time I watch them out there and thanks for the ideas to help deter the hawk

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. I've got a coop with enough predator prevention on it to be Fort Knox, but I still worry. My MIL had raccoons get into a homemade coop a solid 20 years ago and I still remember the bits of chicken all over the yard. I'm a nurse now but I used to be a licenced veterinary technician, and still, it was awful.

Following on SegiDream's comment, I have an Aleko coop (the big one, six nest boxes, locks everywhere). I think it runs between $850 and $1100 depending on where you buy it and how you have it shipped. I was able to pick mine up at the Aleko manufacturing plant and so only paid $590. Great coop and great company.

What else. I have six Nite-Guard solar predator repellent thingys attached at different points--Google it for the real name. I also have Nite-Guard Repellent tape--it's this iridescent tape you either nail or stick or drape around the coop, and it sort of adds to the predator no-go zone.

We back to a greenbelt and have everything from raccoon to black bear (although the latter really doesn't want to be around humans, same for coyote) plus an osprey nest on a communications tower just behind the house. Hawks of all types are very common and we also have bald eagles and owls. I'm thankful for all of the wildlife, but I take precautions for my girls.

I'm newly back into chickens, but when I last had hens, around ten years ago, the Nite-Guard solar predator thingys worked very well. The girls had the inner door of their coop locked every night, of course, so maybe it was that, but the Nite-Guard product was durable and didn't hurt.

The last thing is, if I am letting the girls (Barnevelder, Bielefelder, and Appenzeller Spitzhauben) out into the yard to forage, my Anatolian Shepherd, Lily, is out with them. Anatolians are a livestock guardian breed, but please be aware that no dog of any breed is guaranteed to be good with chickens.

Again, my heart goes out to you this morning. Take care.
wow thank you for all of this info I will show my parents and let them know about it

Since your moving soon, you can begin getting ideas together to protect them at your new place.
I know you will need a parent with you but, you can keep a watchful eye on your local Craigslist under the "Free" section. People give away good stuff.
You can also post in the "wanted" section for stuff your looking for.
Just some ideas.
i think I know what I want to do I think I will make a hoop run for them when we move

I'm a minor, too.
Tell your parents that if you don't keep the birds safe, ALL THAT MONEY that apparently they aren't happy about spending will be wasted. W-A-S-T-E-D. And that innocent creatures have died.
she said that it's getting very stressful and that if I want to I can give them away but if we do get rid of them they plan on selling the chicken coop

I'm a minor, too.
Tell your parents that if you don't keep the birds safe, ALL THAT MONEY that apparently they aren't happy about spending will be wasted. W-A-S-T-E-D. And that innocent creatures have died.
but another reason why the adult hen got hurt is that I leave her coop door open because I never had any problems but i will know be locking the door

Back
Top Bottom