HELP!!!CHICK IS DEAD HEN IS HURT

Make sure Big Girl has a hiding place too.
Perhaps today is a good day to keep them together in the coop.
No time is better than now. Anyone thats out is a potential victim of that hawk. They can easily kill a Big girl too. He already tasted her comb so, he's going for a kill shot at the head and or eyes.

Make sure Big Girl has a hiding place too.
Perhaps today is a good day to keep them together in the coop.
No time is better than now. Anyone thats out is a potential victim of that hawk. They can easily kill a Big girl too. He already tasted her comb so, he's going for a kill shot at the head and or eyes.
i didn't want to keep her with them today because when she poops she kills all the grass under her, me and my dad just moved their coop yesterday to new grass but I was hoping she would use the dog crate as a hiding spot

yeah you and my mom said it'll be back but know my main concern is that when the chicks get bigger they will need to run and I hope the hawk will be gone by then. but my mom said we are going to get a scare crow
Keep in mind that a scare crow might work at first but eventually they figure out it's just a thing. Months ago I set up reflective pinwheels/whirlygigs/wind spinners around the garden area to scare off critters. I put a few around the coop and run. Yesterday there was a disturbance that scared the chickens and something knocked the top of a pinwheel off. It could have been the wind but I'm going to assume it was the hawk since he's made some sort of an attempt every day.

Keep in mind that a scare crow might work at first but eventually they figure out it's just a thing. Months ago I set up reflective pinwheels/whirlygigs/wind spinners around the garden area to scare off critters. I put a few around the coop and run. Yesterday there was a disturbance that scared the chickens and something knocked the top of a pinwheel off. It could have been the wind but I'm going to assume it was the hawk since he's made some sort of an attempt every day.
I wanted to get one the moves in the wind but I was thinking that I could but some shiny stuff on it to maybe scare it away

so it turns out we have not 1 but 2 hawks one hawk is smaller and younger and the other one is bigger😫 this does not make it any better
Oh no. I'm so sorry. You are doing all you can do, and seem to be doing a good job from what I can tell. Once a hawk knows where a good food source is they will not stop, and looks like he bought a friend. However, if you keep working at it I think you will be okay as long as they are securely penned up.

Oh no. I'm so sorry. You are doing all you can do, and seem to be doing a good job from what I can tell. Once a hawk knows where a good food source is they will not stop, and looks like he bought a friend. However, if you keep working at it I think you will be okay as long as they are securely penned up.
once the chicks are bigger I want them to be able to run around but my mom said shes going to get to stuff to scare those hawks away. (scarecrow fake owl, etc.) at night that are all fully locked up

once the chicks are bigger I want them to be able to run around but my mom said shes going to get to stuff to scare those hawks away. (scarecrow fake owl, etc.) at night that are all fully locked up
Wonderful! Mine are free range also, which can create a problem, but that is my favorite way to have them if at all possible. I lock mine up at night though, like you do.

Back
Top Bottom