Chickenladyyy123

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2019
I have a chick that started zipping about 6 hours ago but stopped and I’m not really sure what to do. I would open up the incubator to help it, but I have 3 other chicks that have pipped and I don’t want to “shrink wrap” them. Should I just wait till the pipped eggs hatch and then help it?

Attachments

• 95D62805-43DD-4A7F-8803-CFE5727F82FD.jpeg
    95D62805-43DD-4A7F-8803-CFE5727F82FD.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 249
Very possible that it is just taking a break. Hatching is hard work and I've had a couple stop after making a hole about that size. Not uncommon for a hatch to take many hours. As long as there is some movement/breathing, let it be. If after the rest are mostly hatched you don't see any progress, you can pick a few pieces away to encourage it to finish, just don't let it dry out. The peeps of the other chicks will also be encouragement.

Very possible that it is just taking a break. Hatching is hard work and I've had a couple stop after making a hole about that size. Not uncommon for a hatch to take many hours. As long as there is some movement/breathing, let it be. If after the rest are mostly hatched you don't see any progress, you can pick a few pieces away to encourage it to finish, just don't let it dry out. The peeps of the other chicks will also be encouragement.
Thank you so much

It is normal for chicks to take rests but these rest breaks don't usually last very long once they start zipping. Are you sure your humidity is high enough? The biggest cause of a chick starting to zip then getting stuck is insufficient humidity.
If you are sure the humidity is good, spend some time watching the egg in question and try tapping on the incubator near it to see if it moves or cheeps in reaction. If it's moving and cheeping it's probably OK.

I have a chick that started zipping about 6 hours ago but stopped and I’m not really sure what to do. I would open up the incubator to help it, but I have 3 other chicks that have pipped and I don’t want to “shrink wrap” them. Should I just wait till the pipped eggs hatch and then help it?
Give the chick some time, but keep a close eye on it. If you see a lot of fluids, the chick could get pasted in its shell. I had this happen several times. A chick piped and started zipping, but while resting, had egg fluids solidify and get it stuck to the shell. I discovered the chicks were stuck when I was making sure their beaks were clear. I had to pop the top off a peel the shell off of their down. They were really stuck. One wasn't even able to kick it's way out of the bottom of the shell without help because it was so stuck.

It is normal for chicks to take rests but these rest breaks don't usually last very long once they start zipping. Are you sure your humidity is high enough? The biggest cause of a chick starting to zip then getting stuck is insufficient humidity.
If you are sure the humidity is good, spend some time watching the egg in question and try tapping on the incubator near it to see if it moves or cheeps in reaction. If it's moving and cheeping it's probably OK.
My humidity is at 70% right now due to the other chicks hatching. The membrane looks moist, but I did notice it’s less active. I see it breathing but no response to me tapping and whistling.

Give the chick some time, but keep a close eye on it. If you see a lot of fluids, the chick could get pasted in its shell. I had this happen several times. A chick piped and started zipping, but while resting, had egg fluids solidify and get it stuck to the shell. I discovered the chicks were stuck when I was making sure their beaks were clear. I had to pop the top off a peel the shell off of their down. They were really stuck. One wasn't even able to kick it's way out of the bottom of the shell without help because it was so stuck.
I can’t see too well, just the chick, but I don’t think there’s any fluid inside.

My humidity is at 70% right now due to the other chicks hatching. The membrane looks moist, but I did notice it’s less active. I see it breathing but no response to me tapping and whistling.
The baby is probably tired. If everything is moist and you can see the nostrils, I would let it be.

I've had one that pipped but went silent for a day. Thought about helping it out but figured I'd leave him alone...... sadly he didn't make it out. My heart's been heavy ever since, Jack Daniels and cheap wine coolers are now my friends.

I have my first 2 out of 17 hatching today. The first one started last night but has not done too much since then. It’s chirp isn’t as strong as it was last night either. I’ve heard that you are not supposed to open the incubator during lockdown so if you were to help one along, how would you do that without putting the rest of the eggs in jeopardy?

Back
Top Bottom