1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help! chick with broken leg!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LinckHillPoultry, Apr 12, 2008.

1. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    help! I have a sultan chick with a broken leg! He broke it right at the part where the leg joins the body! He seems healthy... how do I wrap the leg so it heals?!

Thanks!

2. amanda_dedi

amanda_dedi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    well, with my roo I used popsicle sticks and medical wraps(the elasticy kind) and I kept it bound and changed the bandage weekly. Maybe you can try toothpicks?

3. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I tried that... but the leg just kind of hangs to the side when he tries to walk

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  4. amanda_dedi

amanda_dedi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    Pony(my roo) just sat patiently for weeks and everyday I took him out and fed him and comforted him. Can you keep him restrained anyway?

5. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'm seperating him. I'm going to watch over him and probably feed and water him myself.

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    do you mean at the "hip" ...if there then it will be next to impossible to do with popsicle sticks or such... you will need to think of way to imobilizing that leg till it is healed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by