Help chick with eye lids peeling and scabbing over

Camry08

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
I have a silkie show girl I’ve been struggling with for a while. Here's links to my last posts about her:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-baby-chick-with-swollen-eyelids.1583664/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...o-roof-of-chicks-mouth.1582684/#post-26898761
She’s now 8 weeks old but still only the size of a 4 day old with full reliance on heat like a week old. She went 30 mins without a heat lamp once and almost died. She no longer has a heat lamp because I switched to a brooder plate hoping that wouldn’t worsen her skin condition like the heat lamp seemed to be doing. She’s also no longer on her antibiotics (metronidole).

Since I stopped using bag balm for her skin condition it seems to have slightly improved, but not at all over her eyes. Where was once just swelling is now thick dead skin/scabs and I’m terrified because if she can’t see, she can’t eat, and I feel like I’m keeping her alive with mush feed, scrambled eggs, and Nutri drench.
So far on her eyes I’ve used diluted VetRx, Farnham clear eyes (it’s a horses saline solution), and vetericyn plus anti microbial pet eye gel.
I’ve been trying to rinse her eye with the solution then apply some gel but it doesn’t seem to really make a difference.
Do I have to do it more than once a day? how often should I be doing this if at all? Or is there anything else that could help or be better? I think her eyes would be fine once the scabs fall off around them but that’s a long time to be partially blind.

Also, I’m not sure if this is usual but she screams nonstop like a day old chick. Her three other siblings, which are also eight weeks old have grown out of their baby voices, but she just screams nonstop and it makes the other ones yell in distress but it’s like a baby scream. It’s been nonstop for the past eight weeks. She’s only quiet for a few hours after I give her a handful of scrambled egg. I’m worried she’s starving. I don’t know if she’s been able to eat much of her pellets, since her eyes are closing I’ve just been making sure to get scrambled egg into her. Her aim is really bad too I can’t tell if it’s her eyes of if she’s becoming “special”.

First pic is of her with her sibling for size reference they both hatched the same day, next pics I tried to get of her eye

Attachments

• 369855D1-68C9-4B8E-8660-D5882E20967E.jpeg
    369855D1-68C9-4B8E-8660-D5882E20967E.jpeg
    714.7 KB · Views: 119
  • EB4AD864-E032-48C1-917A-052B431E11BB.jpeg
    EB4AD864-E032-48C1-917A-052B431E11BB.jpeg
    523.9 KB · Views: 12
  • EA4B636A-1BD3-4EDF-B7D8-BCE96DA34A88.jpeg
    EA4B636A-1BD3-4EDF-B7D8-BCE96DA34A88.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 12
  • BCEE1F35-CFF5-4BA6-8B93-584A83E7B80E.jpeg
    BCEE1F35-CFF5-4BA6-8B93-584A83E7B80E.jpeg
    514.4 KB · Views: 13
Oh my. Poor bird! It's sounds like you've done just about everything for her. The only thing I can think of would be to get her some silver gel and liquid. It works really well, but it's rather expensive.
Here's the gel-
https://www.naturessunshine.com/product/silver-shield-gel-20-ppm/
Here's the liquid-
https://www.naturessunshine.com/product/silver-shield-w-aqua-sol-20-ppm/

Also, you might try rubbing a lot of coconut oil all over the scabs. Raw shea butter would be good too.

Okay, thank you! Just placed an order for both items.
What’s the best way for me to give her these?
I definitely plan to also give raw shea butter a go for her skin

Okay, thank you! Just placed an order for both items.
What’s the best way for me to give her these?
I definitely plan to also give raw shea butter a go for her skin
Rub the gel directly on her skin and do it thick. You can give the liquid in her water. How big is her water container? I really hope it works for her!

Rub the gel directly on her skin and do it thick. You can give the liquid in her water. How big is her water container? I really hope it works for her!

Is the gel okay applied on the eyes as well? She has little cups of water that I change out constantly but i have a gallon jug I could mix the liquid into and scoop from there. How much liquid would be good to add to a gallon jug?

Is the gel okay applied on the eyes as well? She has little cups of water that I change out constantly but i have a gallon jug I could mix the liquid into and scoop from there. How much liquid would be good to add to a gallon jug?
I would put 6 tablespoons of the liquid in a gallon jug. I've never tried putting the gel on the eyes before, but it's worth a shot. I don't think it would cause any damage to the eye by doing that. You could also rinse the eye with the liquid to flush out any disease. I just fill a dropper and squirt it in a few times.

I would put 6 tablespoons of the liquid in a gallon jug. I've never tried putting the gel on the eyes before, but it's worth a shot. I don't think it would cause any damage to the eye by doing that. You could also rinse the eye with the liquid to flush out any disease. I just fill a dropper and squirt it in a few times.
Okay thank you so much for all the info!

Back
Top Bottom