HELP CHICKEN ATTACKED BY UNKNOWN exposed bone wing

Sounds like it could have been a raccoon attack.
1f641.png
There are a number of threads on BYC about similar injuries - you may find this one, for example, helpful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/204479/please-help-wing-ripped-off-by-raccoon.

Just a reminder - if there was a security flaw in your coop that allowed a predator to get to your chickens, you'll want to address it to prevent future attacks. I hope your roo recovers from the injury.

PLEASE HELP!!

I had this happen Thursday morning. 2 of my hens survuved attack, one of them has a wing with exposed bone. I have been putting veteracyn on her but not sure what else to do. Reading this forum has given me better ideas to help her. Did your hen recover from this?? I had 6 hens and a young roo. I lost my alpha girl and have another injured hen that we separated from the flock. The one with injured wing is still with the flock since shes still pecking , they are all in shock I think and pecking order is changing since my main girl is gone... I noticed they are all giving the wing injured hen space but I want to help her as much as possible. Any suggestions??

PLEASE HELP!!

I had this happen Thursday morning. 2 of my hens survuved attack, one of them has a wing with exposed bone. I have been putting veteracyn on her but not sure what else to do. Reading this forum has given me better ideas to help her. Did your hen recover from this?? I had 6 hens and a young roo. I lost my alpha girl and have another injured hen that we separated from the flock. The one with injured wing is still with the flock since shes still pecking , they are all in shock I think and pecking order is changing since my main girl is gone... I noticed they are all giving the wing injured hen space but I want to help her as much as possible. Any suggestions??
I think you were addressing the original poster (I haven't had any exposed bone injuries that I've personally treated) - post #21 has some additional information you may find helpful. If it were my hen, I'd also isolate her in a crate or something similar (I did this for a pullet with a large skin laceration) to ensure that she stays quiet and isn't pecked by others. Good luck!

Keep Neosporin or triple antibiotic salve on it..tons of it. KEEP HIM AWAY FROM UR OTHER BIRDS> THEY WILL PICK AT THE OPEN WOUND!!!! THE FLESH HOOEFULLY WILL GROW OVER...THE NEOSPORIN/TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC WILL HELP W/INFECTION HOPEFULLY. GET THAT AT THE DRUG STORE. TRY TO FIND SOME NUTRI DRENCH FOR STRESS..U GET THAT AT A FEED STORE. If not give Pedialyte..get that at the drug store to...in the baby section...that will help hydrate it. Keep us up to date!

It's just his wing, he can stand and seems to be in not much pain or shock. He's eating and drinking also... I'm just worried about the bone being exposed.
Protect the wound from infection. Use a pet kennel for temporary hospital housing. Keep the injured bird away from the flock. Other predators will smell the blood. Also other birds will peck the wounds. SECURE YOUR OTHER BIRDS AT ONCE! The predator is coming back because they are creatures of habit. They don't have the human luxury of going to Mc Donald's when they are starving! The found your roost.
I am so sorry this happened. Treat the injured chicken to prevent infection. Store it inside your home so flies can't get in the wounds, and prepare for the return of the predator(s).
I know how you feel about it being a pet you have nurtured. Protect the rest now. Keep is informed.
C.F. is crossing fingers for you!

Hi all, thank you for your concern. We are on the 11th day of treating the injured birds. They seem to be doing better and I think they'll make it. I have been using Neosporin and vetericyn and also the purple dot spray. Have been making a saline solution every 2 days and cleaning the wounds 3x a day. I am feeding the scalped bird with a syringe. She has been getting aspirin, peniclin and poultry electrolytes. She is in a box with a towel in my bathroom. (Shes been having good bowel movements the last couple days and easier to clean up!) The wound seems to be dried up and healing, it was pretty deep so I know it will take time to heal. I have also been bringing her out before bed so her sisters dont forget her, it also seems to be theraputic for her since all she does is sit in the box in the house all day. Kind of gives her hope and reminds her what her meaning to live again is. Her sisters are good around her and I am there the entire time in case something does happen. The other bird I have that is injured has bone exposed on and after the elbow of the wing. She has been getting the same attention but she is with the flock. She is pecking scratching and acting as normal so I dont want to separate her. She seems just fine with the rest of the flock and dont want to stress her out more. She even gave us an eggs today:) As for the predator, I found him about 10 yards behind the coop the other night and lets just say he'll never hurt my chickens again. I have also spotted a raccoon twice the size of this one so we are still on alert. I have been locking up my chickens every night and I have a dang good dog that earned a new job. As the gaurd of the chickens at night and in the morning. So we have been feeling more safe now, especially at night. I also installed a baby moniter, its pretty interesting to hear what goes on and yes we have heard "Hank chicken daddy" go off at night and sometimes multiple times a night. Since that raccoon has been gone things have been different, very quite. They are not showing up in my garage to steal my cat foof lately either so maybe I made a statement out here. Will keep updated and any advice is very appreciated!!

I once put motion cameras all around my property..the kind hunters use that are motion controlled that snap pics @night. I was shocked at all the pics of coons, possums ..even coyote/fox ..even shunks that we got. They were everywhere! I lock all my birds up at night.we keep feed and stuff in cans.we pick up any scraps we put out 4 the birds. i keep a flood light on.and a window cracked so me and my dogs can hear outside. I also take my dogs out to pee all around the chicken areas once a day. We live in a rural area...there is lots of wildlife here...and consequently lots of predators. Best defense I think is to predator proof our chickens as much as physically possible. There is NO way we could ever eliminate all the predators. Our neighbor raises lambs..he told us they shoot/trap 100 coyote a year! They r such a problem here...most people that keep livestock also have Pyrenees dogs in the pastures that live with thier stock.

I know that this is an old thread but I thought I'd add my story for anyone else going through this who's worried about their birds.

My hen Duxie was attacked by a fox 2 months ago. She had a large gash (4-5 inches wide) on her back between her wings (think shoulder area on a human). We treated her with Blu-Kote and then Vetetricyn until the wound closed. It took over a month, but she finally got there. All that was left was a crusty thick scab on one end. The scab was embedded into a fold of skin that was like a pocket.

Last night she got a bath to treat her bumble foot. While she was soaking I gently washed her scab to try to loosen it. It wiggled and seemed like it would come off easily if gently pulled. So, I pulled it and it was NOT A SCAB! It was a rib bone! The bone had been infected during the attack. Her body cut off blood circulation to the bone and the bone died (bones are alive and receiving blood normally). Then her body encapsulated the bone and was attempting to push it out of her body like a splinter. I treated the area that it came out of with Blu-Kote and Vetertricyn again to be safe.

Duxie is eating, drinking, and behaving normally today. Yesterday she laid a giant egg. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. It freaked me out though.

Attachments

• 247113699_10222121467320631_5158769501375426313_n.jpg
    247113699_10222121467320631_5158769501375426313_n.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom