Help chicken fight

That's a serious amount of hate between them. If you really cannot get these two to sort it out, consider rehoming one or eating her. Life is too short to be suffering with bullying issues, and five hens that get along beautifully vs five plus a bully is the issue at hand.

That's a serious amount of hate between them. If you really cannot get these two to sort it out, consider rehoming one or eating her. Life is too short to be suffering with bullying issues, and five hens that get along beautifully vs five plus a bully is the issue at hand.
is there another way? these two have never had a problem before nor do they start fights with anyone else.

is there another way? these two have never had a problem before nor do they start fights with anyone else.
Sorry you're ladies are going at it! :barnie

Welcome to spring and raging hormones plus maturity.. they may be vying for top spot in the flock..

to me, and having kept roosters as well.. separating prolongs the fight.. and if done without sight of each other may actually intensify it. Let them work it out.. it rarely if ever truly results in death.. a little blood is not nearly as scary as it looks! They are equally matched, Same skin thickness, strength, wits, etc.. and should have this worked out within a few days if not sooner.

Remove one bully or one victim and there will often be another target.

Make plenty of obstacles to break up the direct line of sight, add in extra feeders, or other enrichment, and have plenty of escape routes so nobody gets cornered,

Of course I would keep an eye out make sure everybody makes it back to roost, Even the roosters (and cockerels) *usually* work it out and live more or less happily ever after. Chickens are literally always looking to one up the other and get what the other has..

One way to create diversion and cohesion.. give them something to fear/fight together.. If I got my broom after the boys when they were fighting their new focus (short term) was the broom and not the flock mate, they could care less about me. If I can see an obvious and relentless aggressor verses the one just standing their ground and trying not to get beat up.. then I will put the chase to them.. let them get their run on and redirect the focus.

Fence fighting results in injuries with no clear winner and no clear loser.. while "look but don't touch" is great option for integrating and protecting new, juvenile, or injured birds (all are usually scared and have no reason to fight) most of the time.. with both birds being strong and having claim to the same territory already, this may not be the right time for that tool.

Time is your best tool in this instance AND according to MY experience. The blood very likely looks worse than it is.. When they're mad, they're hot and every little scratch bleeds what looks like a large amount, because to most of us ANY is a large amount. Yes they may lose some comb or wattle.. it happens, even in the best managed flocks and they heal usually without any issue or assistance.. Full actual maturity doesn't come until closer to 18 months +. Live with anybody 10 months, it's enough to cause some tension. :hmm

Hope this helps ease your fear and gets your flock back together sooner than later! :fl

Give it time together first.. worst comes to worst.. some people have successfully used a product called Peepers.

ETA: change up the territory some *might* help.. take out old stuff, move things around, add something new, turn a shovel of dirt.

Last edited:
Sorry you're ladies are going at it! :barnie

Welcome to spring and raging hormones plus maturity.. they may be vying for top spot in the flock..

to me, and having kept roosters as well.. separating prolongs the fight.. and if done without sight of each other may actually intensify it. Let them work it out.. it rarely if ever truly results in death.. a little blood is not nearly as scary as it looks! They are equally matched, Same skin thickness, strength, wits, etc.. and should have this worked out within a few days if not sooner.

Remove one bully or one victim and there will often be another target.

Make plenty of obstacles to break up the direct line of sight, add in extra feeders, or other enrichment, and have plenty of escape routes so nobody gets cornered,

Of course I would keep an eye out make sure everybody makes it back to roost, Even the roosters (and cockerels) *usually* work it out and live more or less happily ever after. Chickens are literally always looking to one up the other and get what the other has..

One way to create diversion and cohesion.. give them something to fear/fight together.. If I got my broom after the boys when they were fighting their new focus (short term) was the broom and not the flock mate, they could care less about me. If I can see an obvious and relentless aggressor verses the one just standing their ground and trying not to get beat up.. then I will put the chase to them.. let them get their run on and redirect the focus.

Fence fighting results in injuries with no clear winner and no clear loser.. while "look but don't touch" is great option for integrating and protecting new, juvenile, or injured birds most of the time.. with both birds being strong and having claim to the same territory already, this may not be the right time for that tool.

Time is your best tool in this instance AND according to MY experience. The blood very likely looks worse than it is.. When they're mad, they're hot and every little scratch bleeds what looks like a large amount, because to most of us ANY is a large amount. Yes they may lose some comb or wattle.. it happens, even in the best managed flocks and they heal usually without any issue or assistance.. Full actual maturity doesn't come until closer to 18 months +. Live with anybody 10 months, it's enough to cause some tension. :hmm

Hope this helps ease your fear and gets your flock back together sooner than later! :fl

Give it time together first.. worst comes to worst.. some people have successfully used a product called Peepers.
So i should let them sort it out right now while i can? I really love these chickens I rescued them together and I would really hate having to do anything bad to them.

Those are good looking comets - but I have NEVER seen mine fan their tail like that. Maybe I just wasn't watching that close (true), but that upright, spread tail posture seems quite combative for what is normally a pretty docile breed.
Yeah the one in the dog kennel was being very aggressive but as of now i determined it to be a power struggle within the pecking order. I've just never seen it this intense.

Back
Top Bottom