Help chicken fight

I'd try putting the aggressor in lockdown to knock her down a peg or two on the pecking order.
They both seem pretty aggressive towards one another however ive noticed that one of them doesnt let me pick her up which typically she does. They also both sit at 4th and 5th on the pecking order out of the 6.

is there another way? these two have never had a problem before nor do they start fights with anyone else.
Sorry you're ladies are going at it! :barnie

Welcome to spring and raging hormones plus maturity.. they may be vying for top spot in the flock..

to me, and having kept roosters as well.. separating prolongs the fight.. and if done without sight of each other may actually intensify it. Let them work it out.. it rarely if ever truly results in death.. a little blood is not nearly as scary as it looks! They are equally matched, Same skin thickness, strength, wits, etc.. and should have this worked out within a few days if not sooner.

Remove one bully or one victim and there will often be another target.

Make plenty of obstacles to break up the direct line of sight, add in extra feeders, or other enrichment, and have plenty of escape routes so nobody gets cornered,

Of course I would keep an eye out make sure everybody makes it back to roost, Even the roosters (and cockerels) *usually* work it out and live more or less happily ever after. Chickens are literally always looking to one up the other and get what the other has..

One way to create diversion and cohesion.. give them something to fear/fight together.. If I got my broom after the boys when they were fighting their new focus (short term) was the broom and not the flock mate, they could care less about me. If I can see an obvious and relentless aggressor verses the one just standing their ground and trying not to get beat up.. then I will put the chase to them.. let them get their run on and redirect the focus.

Fence fighting results in injuries with no clear winner and no clear loser.. while "look but don't touch" is great option for integrating and protecting new, juvenile, or injured birds (all are usually scared and have no reason to fight) most of the time.. with both birds being strong and having claim to the same territory already, this may not be the right time for that tool.

Time is your best tool in this instance AND according to MY experience. The blood very likely looks worse than it is.. When they're mad, they're hot and every little scratch bleeds what looks like a large amount, because to most of us ANY is a large amount. Yes they may lose some comb or wattle.. it happens, even in the best managed flocks and they heal usually without any issue or assistance.. Full actual maturity doesn't come until closer to 18 months +. Live with anybody 10 months, it's enough to cause some tension. :hmm

Hope this helps ease your fear and gets your flock back together sooner than later! :fl

Give it time together first.. worst comes to worst.. some people have successfully used a product called Peepers.

ETA: change up the territory some *might* help.. take out old stuff, move things around, add something new, turn a shovel of dirt.

Last edited:
I'd personally eat one... problem solved... but you asked for an opinion on an alternate solution. Separating the higher ranking hen (isolation) will drop her status in the flock; usually making her more docile.

Sorry you're ladies are going at it! :barnie

Welcome to spring and raging hormones plus maturity.. they may be vying for top spot in the flock..

to me, and having kept roosters as well.. separating prolongs the fight.. and if done without sight of each other may actually intensify it. Let them work it out.. it rarely if ever truly results in death.. a little blood is not nearly as scary as it looks! They are equally matched, Same skin thickness, strength, wits, etc.. and should have this worked out within a few days if not sooner.

Remove one bully or one victim and there will often be another target.

Make plenty of obstacles to break up the direct line of sight, add in extra feeders, or other enrichment, and have plenty of escape routes so nobody gets cornered,

Of course I would keep an eye out make sure everybody makes it back to roost, Even the roosters (and cockerels) *usually* work it out and live more or less happily ever after. Chickens are literally always looking to one up the other and get what the other has..

One way to create diversion and cohesion.. give them something to fear/fight together.. If I got my broom after the boys when they were fighting their new focus (short term) was the broom and not the flock mate, they could care less about me. If I can see an obvious and relentless aggressor verses the one just standing their ground and trying not to get beat up.. then I will put the chase to them.. let them get their run on and redirect the focus.

Fence fighting results in injuries with no clear winner and no clear loser.. while "look but don't touch" is great option for integrating and protecting new, juvenile, or injured birds most of the time.. with both birds being strong and having claim to the same territory already, this may not be the right time for that tool.

Time is your best tool in this instance AND according to MY experience. The blood very likely looks worse than it is.. When they're mad, they're hot and every little scratch bleeds what looks like a large amount, because to most of us ANY is a large amount. Yes they may lose some comb or wattle.. it happens, even in the best managed flocks and they heal usually without any issue or assistance.. Full actual maturity doesn't come until closer to 18 months +. Live with anybody 10 months, it's enough to cause some tension. :hmm

Hope this helps ease your fear and gets your flock back together sooner than later! :fl

Give it time together first.. worst comes to worst.. some people have successfully used a product called Peepers.
So i should let them sort it out right now while i can? I really love these chickens I rescued them together and I would really hate having to do anything bad to them.

I have a smaller kennel that I use if one of my hens gets injured. You might try that, and move the small kennel where they can not see each other. I would probably put the aggressor in “jail” for a few days, and see if that works. If they go back at it when she’s released, do it again. IF they just refuse to get along, then either make a pot of chicken and dumplings, or find the bad girl another home.

Attachments

• 13015ACD-63B8-4EB8-B128-91641D482C11.jpeg
    13015ACD-63B8-4EB8-B128-91641D482C11.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 6358122C-81CD-4311-BB46-9598983FFA54.jpeg
    6358122C-81CD-4311-BB46-9598983FFA54.jpeg
    782.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 8E7EEFA5-15F8-49AB-A137-5484A3A95B8F.jpeg
    8E7EEFA5-15F8-49AB-A137-5484A3A95B8F.jpeg
    871 KB · Views: 3
  • 28664E36-73C2-4265-AD7E-AA70F8036F07.jpeg
    28664E36-73C2-4265-AD7E-AA70F8036F07.jpeg
    824.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 37BC4289-0ED8-48A0-A4BF-948FAFA584AB.jpeg
    37BC4289-0ED8-48A0-A4BF-948FAFA584AB.jpeg
    643 KB · Views: 3
  • 044D8C3A-B135-49FC-AF20-650195B93FBB.jpeg
    044D8C3A-B135-49FC-AF20-650195B93FBB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 8E0C4A7C-598E-4477-BECE-4E057E70237F.jpeg
    8E0C4A7C-598E-4477-BECE-4E057E70237F.jpeg
    738.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 4CA25B65-7D54-4E99-B86F-CBFB1021C9C6.jpeg
    4CA25B65-7D54-4E99-B86F-CBFB1021C9C6.jpeg
    678.3 KB · Views: 2
  • EC4334CE-967E-4FF6-8CBE-05EE9813E33B.jpeg
    EC4334CE-967E-4FF6-8CBE-05EE9813E33B.jpeg
    846.9 KB · Views: 3
Update: Its now dark all the chickens have gone inside the coop. The 2 that were fighting made in without a fight thank goodness! Right now theyre just pecking each other for good spots on the roost. However upon observing I saw the my Ada who was at the bottom of the pecking order snuggle up next to the 2 highest ones. My theory is that the pecking order from 3rd down is having a power struggle which could explain the fight. The pecking order was from highest to lowest Charlie, Mango, Dorothy, Polly, Lizzie, Ada (Polly and Lizzie were the ones fighting) and the way they roost is from right to left with top boss getting right side and going down. Right now the way theyre roosted is Charlie, Mango, Ada, Lizzie, Dorothy, and Polly. The reason why I think this is because Ada is always the farthest to the right usually by herself but no shes snuggling close to Mango who used to bully her and Dorothy is really far left who typically was always by Mango's side. Upon observation earlier I noticed that the whole flock was pretty tensed but mostly within the bottom 4. Thank you guys for the help its been a stressful afternoon!

Those are good looking comets - but I have NEVER seen mine fan their tail like that. Maybe I just wasn't watching that close (true), but that upright, spread tail posture seems quite combative for what is normally a pretty docile breed.
Yeah the one in the dog kennel was being very aggressive but as of now i determined it to be a power struggle within the pecking order. I've just never seen it this intense.

Back
Top Bottom