Help. Chicken with huge swollen red butt

Everything on here has to do with adult chickens. Does anyone know what a red swollen doughnut shaped thing below the vent of a chick that's only about 2-3 months old. It's chirping a lot and wants to be held unlike the other little ones. Is this most likely an individual thing, or could it have something that is contagous (sorry, don't spell very well). Also, I found a very small blue egg under the edge of the chicken house about 3 days ago and was trying to figure out where it came from. Is it possible for such a young chick to lay??
hu.gif

Quote:
I get the tablets from Wal-Mart and dissolve them in a little water and then simply add it to their drinking water. It works very fast, and since your hen has such a deficiency she needs a good bit. Hope this helps.

It sound like she may just be stopped up try giving her some more olive oil through a syringe and see if that helps.

Wow, after reading all of your messages, though some time ago, i must say, very impressive and brave! I just posted this below, along another question/posting, and now see what you have done. Our hen seems much the same, very red, dirty and not comfortable! But, a Bath! Wow, seems so messy and scary!

This is what I posted:

I am new to this forum, but as I can't quite figure out if or what we can do to assist our hen, am hoping that someone on here can make some recommendations that may be of assistance to us. We have 7 leghorns that have been raised from chicks and one of them seemed to be bearing down while outside, and straining unusually hard. When I went to check on her and looked more closely, I found she had a very swollen butt/bottom, which is very red and extended! Nothing seemed to be coming out, and I wondered if an egg could be stuck in her, if she had some type of constipation, and/or if she has an infection, or something else? I read on here that some people soak their chickens in a warm bath, which seems like a somewhat obvious remedy if this were a human being...but, ?

Thank you!

my hen with the swollen red butt doesn't seem to be in any pain... she gets around, runs even. When I first noticed it a few months back, I bathed her in hot epsom salts, isolated her etc... she hated it. The benefit of isolating her was I got to observe her. She ate well, layed eggs and was not constipated by any means. I put her back with the flock.

She is happy with her girlfriends, she walks up the stairs to visit us on the deck, and is as normal as the rest... except for this humongous red swollen mass below her vent
sad.png

Our poor little hen didn't make it. We tried some of the remedies of bathing, preparation h, sugar... but they may have been too little too late. RIP

Hi iam new, i need help fast, my hen butt is realy swollon with purple and red, she not eating but is drinking, my mom thinks we should put her douwn but i said no i want to save her please help anyone its realy swllon, and she not pooping right, i cant clean her butt cause i might hert her and it looks kinda grose please help??? thanx
sad.png

Hi iam new, i need help fast, my hen butt is realy swollon with purple and red, she not eating but is drinking, my mom thinks we should put her douwn but i said no i want to save her please help anyone its realy swllon, and she not pooping right, i cant clean her butt cause i might hert her and it looks kinda grose please help??? thanx
sad.png

That's not a lot of information to go on but from what I'm reading it looks like she's not pooping correctly and maybe has a bunch of poop stuck to her butt? It may be gross but the first thing I would do is to put her butt and backside in a warm tub of water. Nice and warm and just hold her backside in it or sit her in it. I actually had to do this to a hen yesterday. Once she calms down gently clean off anything that is stuck to her butt. Once it is cleaned off and while she is still in the water, you can soap up your finger and gently insert it into her vent to check for packed poop or an egg that could be blocking the passage. Just be gentle and use soap and the water she's sitting in to help the process. She could be impacted with an egg or she could be impacted with poop. Either way a warm sit bath will help her. Best of luck.

I don't know about Thelma, but the other hen sounds to me exactly like the ascites..I just went through this with my number one hen..I thought she was egg bound at first, but thankfully someone else recognized the symptoms and told me to drain the "squishy stuff" out.. I went to the ranch supply store, got an irrigation syringe and a needle (1.58$!)..had DH hold her while I poked her (swaddle the chicken so she can't move) on my first attempt I got a full syringe full..I poked a couple more times, and it has been 3 days..she is totally back to normal, I just let her drain..I made sure Groana was clean and have tetracycline hydro in all their water...I am so relieved..but they do act like they are egg bound but then the behavior persists and the swelling gets worse...if she were egg boundSUBMIT she would be dead..I am so very grateful for this BYC forum and all of you...!

What I am wondering is why everyone is having a problem with this!?

Happy Valentine's Day..if you have any questions..don't hesitate!

Hi

Thanx for your help but she past away today crying alot miss so munch, i call the vet and he siad she had a big egg stuck in her vent, so he told me to put warm water in his pale and he tryied to clean it up, and take the egg out but she past away when he did it, i felt soooooo badly, this never happend to me befor to my chcickens i had chikens for longe time, and my hen silver wasent even a year old, i did have a chicken that live to be 10 years old her name was cricket crown, peerd white, but thanx for hellping me i do take realt good care of my chickens to,
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom