Help!! Chicken with sprained or broken neck!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kailey the Animal Lover, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Kailey the Animal Lover

Kailey the Animal Lover Chirping

Mar 13, 2018
    UPDATE: He is sleeping in the closet now. How should i feed him?

2. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest for the Wicked

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I agree with Wyorp Rock in waiting until your Mom gets home to take him out to deal with him. He should be fine resting until that time, it's what he needs right now.

3. Kailey the Animal Lover

Mar 13, 2018
    UPDATE: he is drinking a lot out of the eyedropper, opens his mouth when i put it near him. He is not pooping, though. Should i bathe him and rub his butt with hazelnut oil like you would do with an egg-bound hen? Or should i take him out of the bin to do his business elsewhere? Thanks!!

4. Kailey the Animal Lover

Mar 13, 2018
    UPDATE: Slightly cocking his head one direction and can turn to the other side.

micstrachan likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Feeding is covered in post 36. You will need to mix it up and hold a small cup, measuring cup, or scoop up to his beak. Wet chicken feed mixed thin with water is good.
    I would let him sleep, and when he is awake, offer food. Water is most important at first.
    When I am in a hurry, I make a scrambled egg by stirring an egg into a glass measuring cup, cover it with a wet paper towel, microwave for 20 seconds, stir, and for 15 seconds more. Put on a paper plate and chop up with a fork. When cool enough add a tsp of plain yogurt, stir in.

6. Kailey the Animal Lover

Mar 13, 2018
    He cannot lift his head though! I fed him the reccomended recipe in 36, and put it through a strainer, and fed it to him with an eye dropper.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hold a spoon just to his beak. You might have to hold his head up with one hand. You can also try to hold him wrapped in a towel, and lean him toward a cup of food. Hope it works, but you may have to improvise.

If his limber neck persists more than a day or two, you might need to learn to tube or crop feed him. A vet can sell you a feeding tube and a large syringe. Google an article called “Go team tube feeding” and look for some videos on You Tube on crop feeding.

ChickNanny13 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  8. Kailey the Animal Lover

Mar 13, 2018

UPDATE: He just pooped a GIANT poop when we picked him up and moved him outside the bin. We had him laying upside-down, and one of his legs was not working correctly. When you moved it, it just kinda floped over to one side. Do you think it is broken?

ChickNanny13 and WVduckchick like this.
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Poor guy. He may have some neurological damage from the attack, or something could be broken. I would keep him quiet and keep trying to feed him. Can you try and see a vet tomorrow or call a farm vet for help? It may take some time to get over his injuries. I would check on a feeding tube as well.

10. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Aaww. Poor rooster. You are doing a wonderful job with him. I agree rest is most important right now, plus water and feed, if he’ll eat. I sincerely hope he recovers, but it will take some time. I’m rooting for both of you!

ChickNanny13 and Wyorp Rock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: