Help!! Chicken with sprained or broken neck!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kailey the Animal Lover, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Kailey the Animal Lover

Kailey the Animal Lover Chirping

Mar 13, 2018
    UPDATE: Brownie can now poop! We are going to the store to get tube feeding supply's for him. He can move his neck a little, but not much. I have been using a dropper to give him water to drink. He probably got 3/4 cup of water yesterday. The vid is from around 6 am, so he is kinda groggy.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    @casportpony is a good authority on tube or crop feeding. She knows the correct amounts for weight and the right size of tube to use. KayTee is a brand of bird feed found in Walmart and Pet stores, and can be used for tube feeding. Some grind up chicken feed finely, and add a lot of water to tube feed.

You also may want to Google chicken slings to see pictures of homemade contraptions that will let him sit upright in front of food and water and keep cleaner. I cannot post links or pictures, but maybe someone else can.

3. Kailey the Animal Lover

Mar 13, 2018
    Thank you guys!! You have been so much help! Please keep Brownie in your minds! I will look her up!

ChickNanny13 and micstrachan like this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Google Casportpony’s BYC article called “Go team tube feeding,” and she has some other more brief ones as well. YouTube has videos as well on crop feeding.

5. Kailey the Animal Lover

Mar 13, 2018
    I just started a conversation with her about it.

6. Kailey the Animal Lover

Mar 13, 2018

feeding him

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  7. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Gooo, Brownie! Thinking of you two.

8. Cheers2Ya

Cheers2Ya Songster

Apr 9, 2016
    North Dakota
    You are a fantastic chicken mommy! He's a lucky guy!

9. Kailey the Animal Lover

Mar 13, 2018
    BROWNIE UPDATE: He ate 2 egg yolks by the eye dropper. We will get the tube tomorrow, probably. He pooped again, except this time it was on his butt, and was diarrhea. So, he got a warm bath, and is drying of in the sun(in my room). Drank a bunch of water, and his crop is half full. YAY BROWNIE!!

10. Kailey the Animal Lover

Mar 13, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: