HELP! Chicken with toe problem!!!

chickengirl8

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 6, 2008
Over 3 weeks ago I posted my first question hoping to find some advice about a problem I had with a hen of mine. I recieved only one reply saying that they didn't know but suggested giving my hen some antibiotics. I'm really looking for some more help PLEASE! My dad is wanting me to try to drain whatever it is and I don't know if it is even fluid filled. It's not going away but it hasn't really gotten any larger in the last 3 weeks.
About 2 months ago I noticed her limping and saw nothing wrong with her. Over 3 weeks ago I saw that she had a giant lump on her toe. I have no idea what it is or what to do to help her.

Does anyone have suggestions? Do you think I should try to drain it? If I give her antibiotics, what kind? Is there anyway to find out what could be wrong with her? I need some more advice because I've bever dealt with this problem before and I want what's best for my hen.

Here's a picutre from 3 weeks ago.
injuredtoe.jpg

I would go to your local feed store and see what kind of antibiotics they have. It looks infected. If she is not acting sick after all this time maybe the toe is broken and needs time to heal. Good luck.
fl.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I could try the feed store. She hasn't acted sick at all. She's been limping around but otherwise been acting just fine and dandy. I don't know if it's broken; it didn't really look like it was when I looked at it but then again I haven't had a hen with a broken toe. Would a broken toe look like that?

Ouch, it looks like a bad case of bumble foot, which is a staph infection that can start with a prick on the toe or foot. Maybe run a search on "bumble foot" to see if the symptoms are similar. There are a few posts out there with treatment for bumble foot too. Best of luck.

welcome-byc.gif

Is there any kind of wound on her toe? Is it "squishy" or firm to the touch? Is it hot to the touch? If there is any kind of wound, I would use triple antibotic ointment, but if not, I would give her a round of oral antibotics - your feed store should have something suitable.

Back
Top Bottom