Help! Chickens first egg ever was soft and broken!

Sneaky Chicken

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2016
The Garden State
My boyfriend and I are new to the chicken world this year... we have been patiently waiting our first egg for some time, although we werent going to start looking out for another 2 weeks bc our oldest chickens are only about 18.5 weeks old.

My boyfriend noticed when we went out to the coop this evening that the one pullet was in the same exact spot he left her in when he put the girls back in the coop this afternoon to let our dog out for a potty break.

She had some white liquid on her butt and she was squatting so I said "We're getting our first egg!" and we were so excited. Not even 5 minutes later as we were keeping the other girls away from her so she could have some privacy, Dottie popped out her first egg!

Only problem: the shell was soft and open. Here is a picture! Please help! Is this normal? WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG?!?

We havent given them calcium or layer feed bc I read nightmares stories about giving your pullets calcium too soon. But theyve had some yogurt here and there and some other treats with trace calcium in them.

Im FREAKING out!!!

From my experience that is normal. What you will need to do now if you haven't already is make sure your hens have access to oyster shells so they can get to extra calcium as much as they want. We had a few of them when our girls first started and we were using a different feed. We switched to Purina Layena and have never had one since, even when our babies first started laying.

Just my opinion and advice.

From my experience that is normal. What you will need to do now if you haven't already is make sure your hens have access to oyster shells so they can get to extra calcium as much as they want. We had a few of them when our girls first started and we were using a different feed. We switched to Purina Layena and have never had one since, even when our babies first started laying.

Just my opinion and advice.
Thats a relief!

My only concern is that we have 3 other pullets that are about 2 months younger... I dont want them getting sick in case they get into the calcium.

Back
Top Bottom