HELP CHICKENS KICKING BEDDING OUT OF EGG BOX!

you need to put a ledge or something to hold the bedding in.its just a natural instinct for them to kick bedding around

I agree raise the lip and make them smaller...they look very large & open....my girls seem to like the little curtains that I put up....it's a privacy thing, I think...LOL Good Luck....

IMG_0373.JPG

I use AstroTurf, works great!

I am thinking the same as others. Put a lip on the box and make them smaller.

I have some very large birds but they bypass the larger boxes to use the 12" wide x 15" deep x 14" tall boxes.

Agree with the lip on the nest boxes.

Also throw a little treat or a handful of scratch on the coop floor. Those that want to scratch will be happy on the floor searching for tidbits and will be less likely to do so in the nest boxes.

How deep are those boxes? They should be about 12' deep, front to back. Agreed, they need a front lip. It also looks like they have been sleeping in them, based on the soiled shavings. This is a bad habit that needs to be broken. If the girls are entrenched in nest box sleeping, you are going to have to block the nest boxes every night to retrain them to the roosts. Are the roosts ABOVE the height of the nest boxes? If not, it's going to be practically impossible to train them to the roost, and you will be forever fighting nest box sleeping and dealing with poopy eggs. Give them a nice high lip, lots of hay to snuggle in, and block those boxes at night (if they are sleeping in them.) They will get the hang of it!

Back
Top Bottom