Help - chicks are 6 days old. Not growing or eating

eearland

Hatching
Mar 3, 2018
Two of the 6 eggs I got from a friends farm hatched last Monday. They are Austrolorp chicks. One looked healthy at birth, the other was weak on one side and has a funny eye (swollen out). By the second day though they both showed good energy and were very loud. I am getting super concerned though. We way them each day as part of the class observations and they have dropped from 38g or 29g. There is no poop in the cage and I have not seen them eat or drink on their own. They have not really grown at all and are very loud. On day 5 I was advised to try giving them some sugar/yolk/warm water from a dropper. I did this a few times last night and a few times today.

I've showed them the water many times dipping their beaks and both will drink when I do that and will drink the solution or water from the dropper although reluctantly.

I am at a point where I am wondering if I should let nature take its course, or should I continue to try to help them.

These two are only my second hatch. The first 4 were different breeds but they grew and ate instantly. Very different than these two.

What are you providing for heat? They need a place to warm under. What are you providing for food? Cold chicks peep a lot. Hungry chicks peep even louder.

One reason for chicks not eating is that the food particles are too big. Any crumbles need to be quite fine. Pellets will not work with chicks.

Try feeding finely minced boiled egg, both the white part and yolk.

Place the water in a very shallow dish with pebbles in it so the chicks have to stand on them to put their beaks in between the pebbles to sip the water. If the water is set too high up, chicks may not drink.

Try sprinkling their fine food on the floor of the brooder along side the water that is very shallow and no higher than their shanks. Chicks instinctively want to eat off the ground and drink from a puddle.

Get some Poultry Nutri-drench and give each chick an undiluted drop each day for the next week. Mix one-fourth teaspoon in a quart of tepid water and provide that as their drinking water.

I am using a heat lamp and keeping the temperature at 90F or 30-32C. They have chick starter feed, water in a shallow dish, crumbled yolk, and I have scattered it. The brooder is lines with woodchip... I will pick up the Poulty Nutri-drench tomorrow. Thank you

I have. Lost the healthier of the two last night and would be surprised if the other one makes it through the day. Don't think they were meant to be. Did not look healthy right from the start unfortunatly.

Back
Top Bottom