Help! Chicks escaped!

SlowPancakes404

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2018
Hello. I have a small farm in my backyard with twelve chickens (six juvenile, six fully adult layers.) Our fence is secure all around our yard, but we have a wooden gate with big gaps. I didn’t have any issues until yesterday, when I found them on the front lawn. I tried to block the holes, but they knocked it down today and got out again. They live in a temporary 4x4 tractor with a small door I can open for them to let them pasture until they are big enough to go into the big coop we built. We have been looking for about 2 hours with no luck. Is there anything I can do? Are they gone? Or will they come back? Please help! (UPDATE: We found the rest of the chicks and now we are baiting them into the backyard.

Last edited:
Try to quietly tiptoe around looking for them. If you see any, then make a clucking sound and try to lure them closer, but don’t make lots of noise or chase them. Look around your yard for any roosting spots up off the ground where they could jump to. Try throwing out a treat or some chick crumbles. The danger is that any dogs, cats, or hawks can easily pick them off, so hopefully they will hide in the grass or bushes. Good luck.

Try to quietly tiptoe around looking for them. If you see any, then make a clucking sound and try to lure them closer, but don’t make lots of noise or chase them. Look around your yard for any roosting spots up off the ground where they could jump to. Try throwing out a treat or some chick crumbles. The danger is that any dogs, cats, or hawks can easily pick them off, so hopefully they will hide in the grass or bushes. Good luck.
We saw them and we managed to trap them in the garage which leads to the backyard. Thanks for helping!

Back
Top Bottom