HELP! Chicks tail pecked off!!!

ChewBokBok

Chirping
Aug 18, 2021
MN
My 2 month old chick got stuck in between these metal bars. i found her later with her tail completely off. did they get her vent/butt hole as well? Is there anything i can do for her without a vet, how do i stop the bleeding? would bul-kote help? thanks.
20220516_155850.jpg
20220516_155854.jpg

Attachments

• 20220516_155850.jpg
    20220516_155850.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 2
I don't know much about this, but it appears that no-one else has any ideas at all, so I'll have a try.

--Culling the bird is always an option, and is sometimes the best or only option.

--I have seen threads with chickens who had injuries that looked this bad or worse, and they survived.

--Separate this bird from the other chickens, so they cannot peck it any more (you probably already did this.)

--I cannot tell if the vent got pecked or not. You can look at the vent on a healthy chicken, and see how far it is below the tail, to get an idea of where to look on this chicken. Or if the chicken poops while you are watching, you will know where the vent is.

--Provide fresh water and the usual chick starter for the chick to eat. You can also add water to the chick starter, to make a mush that chickens usually like. For wet feed, replace it at least once a day so it does not have time to go bad. (Give the leftovers to your other chickens each time, rather than wasting it.)

--Given how long has passed, I'm guessing the bleeding already stopped, and the area probably has a big ugly scab.

--I've seen blu kote and several other things recommended in the various injuries threads, to help keep the area protected and moist. But I've also seen recommendations to leave injuries alone and uncovered. So I don't know what to suggest here. (I've also seen suggestions for bandaging, and for not bandaging.)

@azygous @Eggcessive Any treatment suggestions here? Spread something on it or not? If so, which something? Bandages or not?

Blukote should not be used on this until it has scabbed and is healing, or not at all. I use 2% Chlorhexidene or Hibiclens 4% diluted with a little water. Vetericyn wound spray, saline, or weak Betadine are other options to clean a wound. Spraying it can be easier. After that keep the wound coated with plain Neosporin or antibiotic ointment. Some use a chlorhexidene cream, depending on where you live.

Look for where any droppings are coming out. Then see if the vent is working. If cleaned off, take a clearer picture. I think that you may be the only one to see if the vent is intact or damaged. Culling is an option, but she can survive tail damage, but maybe not vent damage.

Have you treated for shock? That would kill her faster than the injury.

Here is my treatment program for severe injury.

1. Treat for shock as the number one step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have the patient drink it all or syringe it into the beak.

2. Flush the wound well with saline. This is better than soap and water as it maintains the PH of the tissues. But warm soap and water will do. You need to wash away the bacteria from the wound.

3. Inspect the wound carefully. If it has a skin flap dangling, keep that. Do not cut it off. Look for bite, tear or puncture marks indicating a puncture wound. If you see this, the patient will need an oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin. Bacteria from the predator’s mouth can be injected deep into tissue and can kill in as little as 24 to 48 hours. You can order this https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/250mg once a day for ten days. Or you may be able to find this or something similar at TSC or a pet store.

4. Spray with Vetericyn wound treament and let dry. Use a topical antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or a generic without pain killer in it to coat the wound. If there's a skin flap, lay it across the wound that has just been coated with the ointment. Then smooth on a generous amount over the top of the skin flap to hold it in place.

5. It's useless to try to stitch a wound on a chicken. Don't even try. It's also useless to try to bandage a wound other than on the feet. The chicken will not tolerate it. It will be pulled off faster than you can blink an eye.

6. Clean the wound every day following the above steps. Keep the wound covered with the ointment. Never allow the wound to get dried out or it will not heal.

She is looking so much better today. She is on her own eating food and water. I put some blu-kote on last night and the bleeding stopped. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom