Help choosing which EE rooster to keep?!

sunnie7

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 24, 2016
Southern Indiana
Last year “Grey” was our rooster we kept. However most of his offspring we hatched out last fall turned out to be cockerels also with the exception of one and she’s from my Ameraucana hen. So I really have no way of know at this point if Grey carries the blue egg gene. I’ve held on to two of his offspring but it’s about time to get back down to only one rooster. Grey’s not the best but he’s not ever given me a reason to get rid of him either. His offsprings are around 17 weeks and just starting to crow. Any suggestions on who to get rid of? I’m pretty sure the young Grey rooster is also from my Ameraucana hen so I would guess he has a decent chance of having the blue egg gene? Should I wait a little while to see if in the next few weeks one of the younger ones starts becoming aggressive or what age does that behavior usually start showing? We’ve only had one aggressive rooster and I can’t recall when we started having issue from him.
Grey:
2BA725E4-5C07-4704-BF54-BDCCFA31AF3E.jpeg
DBC86D43-3767-47F7-A744-B6842E9F4AE0.jpeg

Karev:
7B9F3C17-78EE-4FF6-8687-D0A560E96B82.jpeg
131CD970-59A7-407F-B7F1-1A01C7DB1D20.jpeg

Avery:
9929515A-4323-4462-A34B-973B446FC466.jpeg
804F0791-9A0A-48F3-AE83-615376C368EB.jpeg

69213344-1FF7-4A21-AE12-6D4F1252A6A4.jpeg

What makes Grey not the best?
Did you get Grey when he was a young cockerel?
Young cockerels can be wild if there isn’t a rooster to keep the flock in line. If you had Grey when he was young and in his wild year, you know what to expect from the young ones if you get rid of Grey.
Just based on color and not personality: Avery is stunning!

I see you like Grey's Anatomy

I would keep Grey since you know their attitude. Better to stay safe in my opinion than get rid of the one you know for one that might ruin everything

I do and my daughters do too!!! They name them all. Grey was Meredith Grey but we had to drop the Meredith lol. We rehomed McDreamy and McSteamy last yeast! They also like Heart of Dixie which our goats are named after 😂

What makes Grey not the best?
Did you get Grey when he was a young cockerel?
Young cockerels can be wild if there isn’t a rooster to keep the flock in line. If you had Grey when he was young and in his wild year, you know what to expect from the young ones if you get rid of Grey.
Just based on color and not personality: Avery is stunning!

I hatched Grey from eggs from a friend that has about every breed there is including Crested Cream Legbars and Ameraucanas. Grey has never come after me but he does stare me down a lot and I’ve never seen him actually be sweet to the girls, when I feed treats he’s one of the first to come (for himself). So really nothing particularly negative but not really anything great either.

I see you like Grey's Anatomy

I would keep Grey since you know their attitude. Better to stay safe in my opinion than get rid of the one you know for one that might ruin everything

Back
Top Bottom